ReefCleaners.org

Converting a 55 gallon into a reef tank

antigonus

I have a 55 gallon tank which currently is not being used, and was thinking about possibly converting it into a reef tank in the next several months after I am back home, of course I would need to check it for structural integrity and possible leaks beforehand. I like the idea of actually creating a system from scratch and trying something a bit bigger than my current Biocube 32 (which is stable now after my last thread).  Ideally I t would do something much larger like a 125 gallon, but I don't really have the space for it, and if I could use a tank I already have, that would save some on the initial set up.

Here are the items I think I'd need for an initial set up.

A filter, (I have a cannister filter for the 55 but I'm sure I'd need to get new media)

Lights, I have not had experience picking my own lights yet, I will probably do some sort of LED Possibly this but if anyone have suggestions I'd be glad to hear. 

Protein skimmer

Automatic top off system

Dry rock (I would probably transfer a smaller piece of live rock from my Biocube to 'seed' it)

As for stocking, of course my options are not vastly expanded for a 55 gallon, but I am hoping to try some different species.

Fish

x3 Pyjama cardinals, since I like the idea of having a little school of something

x1 Aiptasia eating filefish, since even though they are not super colorful they have a unique look

x1 Fairy or Carpenter wrasse

x1 Flame hawk fish

1x some sort of goby 

Not sure what else if anything

Coral/invertebrates

It would still probably be essentially a mixed reef tank, but I'd like to try something a little more specialized and formatted from the start, I'd also like to try a bit more SPS.

Basically my plan would be two arches, one higher than the other. On the higher arch there would be Montipora of various colors on the top, and low light varieties of Seriatapora and possibly Cyhphastrea further down. On the Lower arch I would try to create a Euphyllia garden,  with some mushrooms near the base. I think center I would do a separate island rock Zoa garden,  and Fungia plates on the sand. If I did the Flame Hawk it would limit what invertebrates I could get, so I'm not really sure about other invertebrates yet, though I'd like to get an urchin and a conch if possible. 

Any thoughts or suggestions about this general plan? It would be months until I could do it, and of course I would do a lot more research, but I'm curious as to ideas and suggestions.  

On 6/8/2022 at 8:43 AM, seabass said:

At 42W, I feel that it's a bit under powered.  For under $200, I might go with two of these instead (total of 330W): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DFYBRJW

I have two of those on my 75 gallon tank and love them.  They don't do fancy programs but they light the tank up great.

• Like 2