Innovative Marine Aquariums

day 3 of cycle - water cloudy??

BubbleTrouble

BubbleTrouble

My tank is only a few days into the cycle and it is a bit cloudy! Yesterday, I had the lights on for a a few hours because I was adding in a few more dead rock to the aquascape - do you think this is what is causing the cloudyness?

Cloudiness is caused either by particulates in the water (like from silt from a disturbed substrate), or from a bacterial bloom.  Particulates should continue to settle (making the water clearer everyday), whereas a bacterial bloom could last for more than a week without clearing.  Without livestock, neither is cause for real concern.

Mechanical filter media (filter floss) should help clear particulates from the water.

BubbleTrouble
14 minutes ago, seabass said:

Cloudiness is caused either by particulates in the water (like from silt from a disturbed substrate), or from a bacterial bloom.  Particulates should continue to settle (making the water clearer everyday), whereas a bacterial bloom could last for more than a week without clearing.  Without livestock, neither is cause for real concern.

Mechanical filter media (filter floss) should help clear particulates from the water.

Okay great, I've got the filter going then and I'll let it percolate for a bit before freaking out haha

• Like 1