Pod Your Reef

Nassarius snail has no large antenna?

Cubeguy11

Hello everyone, I recently got a nassarius snail from my LFS. This is my first time having one but a few days after I got it I was looking at some pictures of them online and noticed that they have a very big long antenna that mine don’t have? Are these still nassarius snails or was my LFS selling a completely different species of snail?

here are some pictures:

D28870B3-FEEF-45FA-B828-06D381B36B95.jpeg

9896E681-A264-4F26-9ACC-004C22963963.jpeg

Hmm that’s interesting because 3 different employees at the store looked at them and said that they were nassarius snails but oh well, they don’t seem to be eating any algae though.

Wow, I’ll probably be going to a different store then, I’ve had an issue like this in the past so it seems like the people their don’t really know what they’re doing.

32 minutes ago, Cubeguy11 said:

Wow, I’ll probably be going to a different store then, I’ve had an issue like this in the past so it seems like the people their don’t really know what they’re doing.

Honestly, I would say the majority of fish stores are like this. Sure, many knowledgeable hobbyists work at fish stores and usually the owners and managers are hobbyists themselves, but it's really just a normal low-paying retail job. The only thing that matters is the quality of the livestock and their prices. If that turbo lives long term, they probably have a good supplier and their systems and acclimatization process is good enough - I'd keep going there. Mixups among inverts are incredibly common - you can walk into 99.9% of fish stores and spot stuff mislabeled all over the place (and a lot of times, heavily in your benefit).

When you go to the LFS to buy something for your reef, you should really make sure you know what you are buying - especially when it comes to corals. Being able to notice how healthy something is, whether it's actually what it's labelled, and being able to quickly determine the overall health of their system is a critical part of the hobby.

• Like 2