Coral Vue Hydros

? on Phos and NO3

sadie

In March my Phos and NO3 went back down to 0.  I had a huge outbreak of GHA and cyano.  Since then I have added NeoPhos and Neonitro to get those #s up.  they both went up and by the end of March I stopped adding the NeoPhos and continued with the NeoNitro.  My Phos w/o dosing went up to .20-.30 (Hanna Phos checker).

By mid April my Nitrates were up to 5 and I was still dosing.  by the end of April they were at 10 where I wanted them (I read high nitrates could help fight cyano/dinos) I stopped dosing NeoNitro.

I started to run PhosBan to get my Phos down. It goes between .08 and .17

On May 12th my nitrates went up to 25 and have stayed there. I cut my feeding schedule from every day with Sat. off to every other day.  I was doing 2 gal WC every other week, but to get my nitrates down I thought I would switch to 1 gal every week, which didn't happen for a bit then when it did I got just a touch of cyano back.

Here's my question- If my coral are all doing great, is there any harm to keeping my nitrates at 25 and my Phos between .15-.18?  Is there some problem that might arise in the future that I'm not seeing now?

thanks

If everything is fine,happy and healthy then I don't see a problem. Notrates are a little elevated but po3 is fine and shouldn't cause a problem. 

• Thanks 1

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The nitrates are definitely a little high, but the Phos is also high, so no real threat of them bottoming out.

Chasing numbers when your tank is happy and stable, in my opinion, will only lead to personal stress and potential issues in the tank.

I would just continue to test and monitor the tank.  Generally, your coral will let you know if something is wrong.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

One thing I have learned over the past 13yrs is even if your params are elevated,thats fine. Its keeping them stabizlized is the key regardless of the number. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1