Pod Your Reef

Hermit crab nassarius snail

Minireeftank

Minireeftank

I have recently added a couple of nassarius snails to my 52L tank and I keep finding my Halloween hermit digging up and  fiddling around with one of the nassarius snails and at first I thought it was eating it but it seems he’s just inspecting the shell, he only seems to do this with one of the snails, should I be concerned- is he likely to kill the snail or shall I just leave them be?3CE6E9D4-76FB-4E73-8DAC-B5B6992EE387.thumb.png.26cf11ceffcc9b5c4bddfb60d5bf4332.png

Crabs are optimistic feeders; so keep your hermit fairly well fed so it's less likely to kill the snail for food.  It shouldn't be interested in that particular snail for a shell (wrong size and shape for it).  I wouldn't be overly concerned, but hermit crabs can eat snails, there's no getting around that.

• Like 2
Minireeftank

Hello, I feed him and the other crabs every few days depending on how much algaes in the tank, would this be enough? I’ve caught him doing it a few times and the snails survived so far

It's really hard to say.  IME, hermit crabs mostly kill snails for their shells; although sometimes they choose not to move in.  However, a hungry crab won't pass up on a meal of escargot.

• Like 2

Depends how much you feed them and how much algae they're getting. Every few days should be fine, if it's a reasonable meal and there's lots of green algae between. 

I'd imagine he's aware that the shell is much too small for him? Kinda wonder if it smells interesting and he's curious about it. Or maybe nassarius smell is associated with food in his little brain, since they're often around dead things.

• Like 1