SaltCritters.com

2 AI Prime or 1 AI 26?

mbarton2010

mbarton2010

have a 60g 24” cube and currently have an oceanrevive t247 that I want to upgrade. I currently have 1 ai prime HD just sitting around and am going to do a trade for either another Ai Prime or the Ai 26 Hd. Which would be better the 2 primes or single AI 26

NoOneLikesADryTang

For spread, you’re definitely better with two primes. We actually made this change on the tank keepers ADA 60P, SPS tank. Two primes put out the same power as a HD26, but you’re able to spread the light out across the tank better. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
NoOneLikesADryTang
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

or don't hold back, and go all out.  Mine is a 24 cube-ish (only 16" tall)  🤣

but really, like @NoOneLikesADryTang said above, if the choice is between 2 Primes vs 1 Hydra, go with 2 Primes

image.thumb.png.4931182fed8096aaa8683cc09a7b5e7f.png

Looks like you could easily get another hydra or two in between those Orpheks! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Looks like you could easily get another hydra or two in between those Orpheks! 

Seriously!  The lack of lighting on this tank is a little concerning.  I think @mitten_reef is better off just ditching the hydras and going with a few XR30s

• Haha 4
2 hours ago, aclman88 said:

Seriously!  The lack of lighting on this tank is a little concerning.  I think @mitten_reef is better off just ditching the hydras and going with a few XR30s

I'm going to be ditching my old XR30Pro pretty soon for another few Prime 16s for even better spread! I also 2nd or 3rth or 4th getting two Primes over a single Hydra. My tank is only 16" deep, but the size is pretty similar to OPs at 30x24". I'll eventually get to cannedfish levels of coverage with one Prime per 36sq.in - I only need 18 more on my tank! Even with my current lighting, I am not really wanting all that much for coverage except the corners so two Primes over a 24" cube would be fantastic.

And wow, this picture with my lights is over a year old now - can't believe I'm coming up on 2 years and still treating the tank like it's brand new!

fts-2021-05-21.thumb.jpg.a0a2654b6445f6dfcab4335a06b31ab8.jpg

• Like 1