Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Need lighting suggestions

Sturgi_0225

Sturgi_0225

Starting a new ada 60p macro algae tank but also love the idea of possible Zoas and acans or blastos (both my favorite corals) 

macro do best with full spectrum lighting like the twinstars the corals more with radions. 

is there an option for both to thrive? 

Radions are just a brand of lighting they are also full spectrum lighting and adjustable to your needs. I run primes on my tanks including my freshwater planted it's got an old first gen prime on it. They do make a prime that's spesificly for planted but its not that nesicary when you can program it and  dial in the spectrum you want. I run my tanks more natural light looking than lost people it's up to preferance and need.

Theres alot of options radions are expensive and so are the newer primes and hydras. Zetlight, nicrew, Aquaknight make decent programmable full spectrum lights for smaller set ups there are some no name black box lights too mostly from china out there that slso do ok.

Sturgi_0225
14 hours ago, LazyFish said:

Radions are just a brand of lighting they are also full spectrum lighting and adjustable to your needs. I run primes on my tanks including my freshwater planted it's got an old first gen prime on it. They do make a prime that's spesificly for planted but its not that nesicary when you can program it and  dial in the spectrum you want. I run my tanks more natural light looking than lost people it's up to preferance and need.

Theres alot of options radions are expensive and so are the newer primes and hydras. Zetlight, nicrew, Aquaknight make decent programmable full spectrum lights for smaller set ups there are some no name black box lights too mostly from china out there that slso do ok.

Thanks for the detailed response. 
I know Radion is a brand I was just curious about them because I had found a deal for a new one for the same price as a twinstar which I had planned on purchasing. 
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Radion light so hoping I’m able to also get a more natural light look. What are your setting on the light? 

M. Tournesol
24 minutes ago, Sturgi_0225 said:

Thanks for the detailed response. 
I know Radion is a brand I was just curious about them because I had found a deal for a new one for the same price as a twinstar which I had planned on purchasing. 
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Radion light so hoping I’m able to also get a more natural light look. What are your setting on the light? 

would you define natural? light coloration will change with depth.

I am getting ready to setup a custom mangrove/macro peninsula tank I am using Kessil A160 Tuna Blue and A160 Tuna Sun. The tank is going to have a beach at one end which is where the macro will be and the rest of the tank will be a mixture of soft and lps corals, and maybe some bird's nest. I currently have IM Fusion 10 I have two current Gen Primes on it and they work great. At the end of the day it is what you can afford and the look you are after, like @LazyFish said most of the LED lights are programmable nowadays check out some of the off brand stuff save some cash. 

Theres settings online I beleive you can look at and duplicate. My settings from the primes will not translate to the radion they use diffrent leds and chipsets. I use all chanels on my lights including red and green. You can try for something in the warmer end of the spectrum to make it look more natural by adjusting the lights setting. Mine run a blue phase as the other colors slowly ramp up in the morning and again in the evening as they ramp down. This allows me to enjoy my corals in the bluer spectrums as well.

• Agree 1
Sturgi_0225
51 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

would you define natural? light coloration will change with depth.

I prefer light closer to the 6500k spectrum, my understanding is most coral prefer 12-15000k with more blue so hoping to find a medium that can support both corals and macros while still appealing to my eyes. 

Sturgi_0225
23 minutes ago, LazyFish said:

Theres settings online I beleive you can look at and duplicate. My settings from the primes will not translate to the radion they use diffrent leds and chipsets. I use all chanels on my lights including red and green. You can try for something in the warmer end of the spectrum to make it look more natural by adjusting the lights setting. Mine run a blue phase as the other colors slowly ramp up in the morning and again in the evening as they ramp down. This allows me to enjoy my corals in the bluer spectrums as well.

Thanks for the tips, I’ve been out of the hobby for 12 years and things have evolved so much so still trying to learn and evolve myself. 

Sturgi_0225
28 minutes ago, Tiki_Reef said:

I am getting ready to setup a custom mangrove/macro peninsula tank I am using Kessil A160 Tuna Blue and A160 Tuna Sun. The tank is going to have a beach at one end which is where the macro will be and the rest of the tank will be a mixture of soft and lps corals, and maybe some bird's nest. I currently have IM Fusion 10 I have two current Gen Primes on it and they work great. At the end of the day it is what you can afford and the look you are after, like @LazyFish said most of the LED lights are programmable nowadays check out some of the off brand stuff save some cash. 

I purchased a bnib Radion xr15 g4 for $200. 
i haven’t had a tank in 12 years and man this stuff has changed. Prior to getting out I had won a Gen 1 Radion and only had it a month before having to break down the tank before moving across country. 
I’m excited to get back into the hobby again while trying to take it slow. I’ve had an Ada 60u sitting empty on a stand for months doing research and collecting equipment. I’ve finally picked a direction and slowly crawling towards the finish line

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
M. Tournesol
21 minutes ago, Sturgi_0225 said:

I prefer light closer to the 6500k spectrum, my understanding is most coral prefer 12-15000k with more blue so hoping to find a medium that can support both corals and macros while still appealing to my eyes. 

White light generaly gives you browner corals (like in a natural shallow reef). Some corals can have good/better coloration under white (mushroom, Tridacna clams(not a coral), pocillopora ,staghorn , montipora, ...). 

It is not frequent but such tanks can still be very beautiful.

Adees-reef-tank-south-africa.jpg

(link https://reefbuilders.com/2012/02/06/adees-reef-sunlight/)

image.thumb.jpeg.ffdacd650ce351a5bb188f20bb6c89dd.jpeg

(link https://www.plantedreef.co.uk/best-lighting-for-macroalgae)

• Agree 2