inTank Media Baskets

Really sucks

pal

ryans.salty.crew

I second this. Bring back tank of the month! If enough people comment and ask for it back, I'm sure they'd have to listen

I've been getting my contest fix by the 9-5 office reefing contest thread

• Like 1

Problem was that Chris the owner was the only one doing TOTM and he just couldn't do it anymore on his own. I'm surprised he did it so long by him self. I think a good suggestion was to do a seasons(spring,fall,winter,summer) tank of the month but I guess he just doesn't have time anymore. 😔Either way I agree it sucks but I understand the owner not having time anymore cause that's just life.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
ryans.salty.crew

I think seasonal or quarterly is a great idea. It would benefit everyone, giving time for tank owners to grow their tank and submit a full article about their tank. Leaving more time for Chris to easily (hopefully) edit the article. 

If someone else started a "Tank of the season", I feel it would get some love.

ryans.salty.crew
3 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

Well someone needs to jump in am help him hahaha. Out of almost 100,000 users I'm sure someone can help. 

totally agree. Just not me. I couldn't write an article to save my life. Let alone being a first year reef keeper

ryans.salty.crew

@seabass has seen this thread and done what he does best, taken our thoughts and put them into words, specifically the "Tank of the month" forum. 

You're a boss! 

Edited by 10g4Me
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1
1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

Before today, I wasn't aware that it had been indefinitely suspended.  But what was being provided required a considerable amount of work.  Thanks @Christopher Marks for doing it as long as you did.

My only suggestion would be to make it easier by shortening them and publishing them quarterly (versus monthly).  While this might still be more than what Chris is able to keep up with (while maintaining the rest of the site), simplifying it might make it easier for someone else to manage.  However, personally, I'd still be reluctant take on the responsibility.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Me neither,I would repeat the same thing 400 times lol. I was TERRIBLE at writing papers in school and even trade school lol. 

3 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

Me neither,I would repeat the same thing 400 times lol. I was TERRIBLE at writing papers in school and even trade school lol.

I think the tank owner essentially writes the article, while CM is the editor (and formats it).  It's still a lot of work though.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
ryans.salty.crew
Just now, seabass said:

I think the tank owner essentially writes the article, while CM is the editor.  It's still a lot of work though.

I agree, I think the idea of having a template and keeping it simple would help. As a reader, the details were awesome but the pictures were even better to look at than read. As for the contestants I think the award is incredible, being able to say "My tank was elected and beat out 10's of thousands of other tanks across the world" is an honor. 

@seabass You do a spectacular job at putting your thoughts into words, I read a lot of your posts, and would vouch for you to help out Chris.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, seabass said:

I think the tank owner essentially writes the article, while CM is the editor (and formats it).  It's still a lot of work though.

Shoot,the same thing still applies regardless lol. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, 10g4Me said:

I read a lot of your posts, and would vouch for you to help out Chris.

Setup a GoFundMe for me and I'll consider it. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
ryans.salty.crew
3 minutes ago, seabass said:

Setup a GoFundMe for me and I'll consider it. :lol:

You're on this website so much that I highly doubt it would take more than $0.02 a day to convivence you to post once every 3 months. :lol::lol::lol:

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, seabass said:

Yeah, you write your own article for TOTM and then Chris edits it, gives you suggestions, pulls in all the photos (and requests many specific shots), formats it all into HTML, then enters it all into the CMS. It's less work than writing the article, but it's still a lot of work for one person to do given everything else he has to do.

Most people who won TOTM only won a single time, so almost everyone was a first-time writer for this which means a lot of hand holding. Mine certainly had a few revisions even after having my wife who has lots of published scientific work pre-edit it.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
Christopher Marks
22 hours ago, pal said:

Really sucks tank of the month is gone. 

Agreed! 

8 hours ago, jservedio said:

Yeah, you write your own article for TOTM and then Chris edits it, gives you suggestions, pulls in all the photos (and requests many specific shots), formats it all into HTML, then enters it all into the CMS. It's less work than writing the article, but it's still a lot of work for one person to do given everything else he has to do.

Most people who won TOTM only won a single time, so almost everyone was a first-time writer for this which means a lot of hand holding. Mine certainly had a few revisions even after having my wife who has lots of published scientific work pre-edit it.

Well said!

We all have different backgrounds and skillsets, being asked to write about yourself and your tank is an intimidating assignment for anyone, in addition to collecting a lot of old photo files to send over to me, through geeky technical means no less, it's a lot! 🤓

I've always tried my best to guide everyone through the process though, no matter what they need help with. Sometimes it's photo tips, sometimes it's tech support, sometimes I just ask for a little extra details to be written. Either way, we would all get through it together, historically.

Anyways, well said @pal, lets see what develops in the other topic 🙂 

• Like 8