ReefCleaners.org

QT Tank Cycle Question

Toomanymatts

Toomanymatts

First time setting up a QT tank. My main tank is a 13.5 evo that I set up in Feb.
The QT tank is 10 gallons with a HOB filter and a bottle using K1 and air diffuser.
I started with fresh salt water. I had some DR Tim's refresh handy so I added that. I've fed the tank with the amount of food I believe I would feed the new fish daily. Not one day did I get an ammonia reading. Today ( 7 days in) I tested for Nitrate, it is at 25. I haven't had a cycle before where I don't get a ammonia reading, but there is so much nitrate that it has to be complete.

Is it safe to start to add fish?

debbeach13

Is refresh a bottled bacteria?

When I need to quick start a QT tank I swap out new filter media in an existing tank and use the old filter media in the QT tank. I also use some pieces of live rock rubble. Seems to jump start it for me. If convenient take a water sample to the LFS for testing, if not I would get an ammonia badge to keep in the tank before adding fish.

Toomanymatts
4 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Is refresh a bottled bacteria?

When I need to quick start a QT tank I swap out new filter media in an existing tank and use the old filter media in the QT tank. I also use some pieces of live rock rubble. Seems to jump start it for me. If convenient take a water sample to the LFS for testing, if not I would get an ammonia badge to keep in the tank before adding fish.

It is, but its not designed for start up.  I figured it couldn't hurt.  I would have pulled something over from the other tank to jump start it but it had ICH.  So everything in that tank is on timeout. 

Toomanymatts
3 hours ago, seabass said:

Refresh isn't a nitrifying bacteria culture.  I'd probably use BIO-Spira® or another bottled nitrifying bacteria culture.  Definitely get an Ammonia Alert Badge.

Here's a guide which might help: https://humble.fish/quarantine/

I realize it isn't for start up, I thought I had a bottle of start up, but I must have tossed it.  I figured it was better than nothing.  Regardless, I should have some form of ammonia at this point, right?  I do have the badge.  I plan to use it when I add Fish.

47 minutes ago, Toomanymatts said:

I figured it couldn't hurt.

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure that it's not nitrifying bacteria.  If you can find where it states that it contains nitrifying bacteria, I'd like to see that link.

10 hours ago, Toomanymatts said:

Not one day did I get an ammonia reading. Today ( 7 days in) I tested for Nitrate, it is at 25

This shows that you have a working biofilter.  But is it strong enough to support fish?  That might be another matter.

I'm not a huge fan of ghost feeding as an ammonia source (because it can add excess organics and nutrients which can become an issue latter on, plus it's hard to target a particular ammonia level), but it can work.  Instead, I like to use the fishless cycling method using ammonium chloride:

• dose the tank to 2ppm ammonia
  • let it drop to 0.25ppm
  • repeat until your tank can process 2ppm ammonia down to 0.25ppm within 24 hours

46 minutes ago, Toomanymatts said:

I should have some form of ammonia at this point, right?

Not necessarily.  You only have measurable ammonia when the ammonia input is greater than the tank's ability to process it.  It's possible to establish a nitrogen cycle without ever witnessing an ammonia spike.

• Like 2
Toomanymatts
2 hours ago, seabass said:

This shows that you have a working biofilter.  But is it strong enough to support fish?  That might be another matter.

I'm not a huge fan of ghost feeding as an ammonia source (because it can add excess organics and nutrients which can become an issue latter on, plus it's hard to target a particular ammonia level), but it can work.  Instead, I like to use the fishless cycling method using ammonium chloride:

• dose the tank to 2ppm ammonia
  • let it drop to 0.25ppm
  • repeat until your tank can process 2ppm ammonia down to 0.25ppm within 24 hours

I ordered some ammonium cholride. Any tips on how to dose it?  Also some start up bac.

50 minutes ago, Toomanymatts said:

I ordered some ammonium cholride. Any tips on how to dose it?

If using DrTim's, just follow the directions.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61CoRTPwcoL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

They have changed their directions since they first introduced it, so go with what is on the label.