SaltCritters.com

schgr.cube's Ultum Nature Systems 45u - tons of new coral added

schgr.cube

2 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Whew those new STI's look so damn good. 

Honestly, I wasn't a huge fan of the newer bodystyle originally, I had a 2005 STI before that I LOVED. But, after modifying it quite a bit, it has grown on me.

A few more photos, and one of my old STI and the Challenger I traded for the new STI for good measure 😛

IMG_0840.thumb.JPG.4949cfe1ee78f715cadc8e7926459611.JPG

IMG_1062.thumb.JPG.6dc5278711354b0979f461cdde372859.JPG

8E410221-65CB-46FC-8CDB-A17D3E5A9947.thumb.JPG.441528c5ce17f1f54487f3f62f176a8c.JPG

IMG_7376.thumb.JPG.bbb493ae0f19716fcf4561088096d11f.JPG

IMG_6842.thumb.jpg.8b2b4b85ff940e44564db891350830a0.jpg

Edit: I may have done something a bit crazy... we won't see the final result of it until like mid-July, but I am excited. 😈

• Like 1
schgr.cube
4 hours ago, YHSublime said:

All looks great!

Thanks! I just picked up that sump, it is super nice.

Since I am bad at keeping secrets, I am just going to go ahead and say what I did. I ended up purchasing the following:

• Fiji Cube Fiji-12 sump - $75
  • Ultum Nature Systems 45u - $95
  • VIV glass overflow - $80
  • VIV glass pipes for closed loop - $40
  • AQQA 800 gph wavemaker controllable pump for closed loop - $55

I'm going to be selling off and returning some of the things I started with, but I realized I really just want to do this right.... I love clean setups, and I want to make sure I am happy as hell with this. Tank should be here next Friday, but the VIV glass stuff is coming from China so likely won't be here until about the 20th. I will want to water test everything before I make the move, but I'll update this thread once the changeover occurs instead of starting a new one.

• Wow 1

Oh hail yassss !!! I think you did a good thing by doing this. I really wish my tank was cleaner,its pretty scratched in some areas especially the back glass. 

Are you going to use the same light or go bigger,like a G6 Radion XR15 😉 LOL. 

schgr.cube
On 7/2/2022 at 12:30 PM, Reefkid88 said:

Oh hail yassss !!! I think you did a good thing by doing this. I really wish my tank was cleaner,its pretty scratched in some areas especially the back glass. 

Are you going to use the same light or go bigger,like a G6 Radion XR15 😉 LOL. 

lol unfortunately no, but fortunately the AI should do perfectly fine for the new tank either way!

Also, I should note that this sump is literally unused...it has been sitting for a while so still needed to be cleaned, but the previous owner never set it up.

I guess I should switch to horizontal photos since the new tank will be better suited for that...

schgpico-0025.thumb.jpg.61efa5da4d789b9a67d563d7cd0a1bb7.jpg

Hahaha I was just joking,I figured the Prime would still get used. It should have no problem lighting the whole tank. 

That sump literally is brand new,that is CRAZY. I have hesrd nothing but good things about them though. 

8 hours ago, YHSublime said:

Steal on the sump, wish I needed it! 

just making moves!

You need to update your thread sir. 

• Like 1
schgr.cube
20 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Hahaha I was just joking,I figured the Prime would still get used. It should have no problem lighting the whole tank. 

That sump literally is brand new,that is CRAZY. I have hesrd nothing but good things about them though. 

Yeah it really is insane, and she threw in some plumbing bits that I may or may not use, as well as some starboard and an overflow that I might find something to do with. 

9 hours ago, YHSublime said:

Steal on the sump, wish I needed it! 

just making moves!

And I’m glad you didn’t! You were almost quicker to respond to that post than I was!

Wow,even more of a steal then !!! What overflow did she give you ? If you end up not using it if you want to part with it I might snag it. 

I didn't realize you and Sublime were both from my neck of the woods. 

schgr.cube
7 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Wow,even more of a steal then !!! What overflow did she give you ? If you end up not using it if you want to part with it I might snag it. 

I didn't realize you and Sublime were both from my neck of the woods. 

Wait you’re from the DMV area originally? How long have you lived in Florida? I feel like I remember you living in Florida back when I did, and that was like 12-13 years ago. 

Yeah,I was born at INOVA in Fairfax,grew up in Manassas then moved around from Gainesville,Culpeper,Warrenton area. I believe so,I think I moved here close to 13-14 years ago. 

Where in FL did you live again ? 

schgr.cube
1 hour ago, Reefkid88 said:

Yeah,I was born at INOVA in Fairfax,grew up in Manassas then moved around from Gainesville,Culpeper,Warrenton area. I believe so,I think I moved here close to 13-14 years ago. 

Where in FL did you live again ? 

oh damn that’s hilarious. I grew up in Ellicott City / Columbia, and then we moved to Orlando right after we got married. That’s funny as hell, and I was also born in 88. 

• Like 1

That is crazy lol. But I did find out that if you need replacement parts for you your VIV OF,SevenPorts has I believe all the pieces for it. 

schgr.cube
On 7/4/2022 at 12:29 PM, Reefkid88 said:

That is crazy lol. But I did find out that if you need replacement parts for you your VIV OF,SevenPorts has I believe all the pieces for it. 

Aye that is good to know! I was going to buy from them originally to get it faster, but it was about a $40 difference compared to buying from China... 😓

What is everyones thoughts on moving my sandbed over, since my tank is still so new? Is it okay to move over as is, or should I rinse it first, or just buy new sand?

schgr.cube

Last photo of the current setup, since it will be changing to the new setup within the next week or so.

schgpico-00026.thumb.jpg.3d6e0e25a7d4ed56605be65556523eba.jpg

I also picked up a new stand last night for $25, or what will become the new stand. I have been searching around for something that would fit the new sump correctly and still allow for me to have my ATO reservoir, wiring, etc. After searching around on Craigslist, FB marketplace, going to stores, etc, and only finding things I liked that were like $250-350, I decided on buying this and painting it.

schgpico-0027.thumb.jpg.7fc36364a4d1365d8036c877c9cff3c7.jpg

I'm honestly not sure where I am going to put it, but I'll figure that out soon. Weekend plans are to strip the finish, drill for plumbing, mount electronics and door knobs, and then paint. I want to give it ample time to dry / cure before I put the tank on. The one big problem I'm going to run into is taking a huge gamble on this closed loop setup actually working properly, but its going to be a pain to sort out the plumbing for everything to test WITHOUT drilling holes in this...

• Like 1

Just wanted to say nice tank, will be cool to see it on the new stand. This is random, but your Orlando talk above jogged my memory that you were the one who had the ADA owners thread back in the day. I mostly lurked back then but remembered that you lived in Orlando and had a nice ADA tank and I used to always look at your thread.  Its funny because since you started this new thread I always click on it out of habit and couldn't remember why, lol.  

schgr.cube
1 hour ago, mdannyg said:

Just wanted to say nice tank, will be cool to see it on the new stand. This is random, but your Orlando talk above jogged my memory that you were the one who had the ADA owners thread back in the day. I mostly lurked back then but remembered that you lived in Orlando and had a nice ADA tank and I used to always look at your thread.  Its funny because since you started this new thread I always click on it out of habit and couldn't remember why, lol.  

Thank you!

And yeah, I did start that, and honestly loved having that connection to people on here. That old tank is also what made me want to start getting back into things, so maybe I’ll have to start a UNS tank owners thread! 

• Like 1

Sheeeeesus,that looks amazing. I cannot wait for this to come together. When will everything else start rolling in ? 

Whenever I get the overflow from you I need to decide if I am going to use a standard tank ot redefine my whole setup. 

3 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Sheeeeesus,that looks amazing. I cannot wait for this to come together. When will everything else start rolling in ? 

Whenever I get the overflow from you I need to decide if I am going to use a standard tank ot redefine my whole setup. 

Yeah, honestly it looks so good in person, I’m stoked. The glass should be here around the 20th, if the shipping estimate is correct. 

And do itttt! I was debating drilling this tank and using that overflow, but I still really want to do this clear setup. 

• schgr.cube changed the title to schg's Ultum Nature Systems 45u

I'm going to work on the stand tonight, trying to get that finished so I can prep everything else for once the glass arrives. I was thinking about putting a channel along each side of the tank, wide enough to support up to the 1" tubing necessary for the overflow. This might seem like overkill, but it would give me the flexibility to add, subtract, move, etc, any of my tubing for this setup as I need to. All tubing is going to be on the sides, I don't want to mount anything directly on the back glass here.

schgpico-0030.thumb.jpg.e2b1779a884672b2d368435a2bac0f86.jpg

I'd likely brace directly underneath the tank for some extra support, although I doubt it will need it. Thoughts?

• Like 1

I think the slits in the top of the cabinet are a good call,like you said gives you some wiggle room to play with. What are you going to do for 90/45 bends in the tubing,the tubing itself or you going to use say pex elbows with hose clamps ? 

• schgr.cube changed the title to schgr.cube's Ultum Nature Systems 45u - tons of new coral added