Innovative Marine Aquariums

Advice needed

1st reef

Been running for 7 months and I can't get a break. First was the Dino issue.

Now I have this. I got rid of dinos by increasing phosphates to .1

Nitrates are always at or below 5ppm

I've tried water changes 2x a week, 1x a week , every 2vweeks... 

1 mushroom coral died, hammers disappeared . Duncan opening up but not fully. Gsp is thriving but it's taking over the green cabbage. (I'll have to relocate)

Any advice?

20220428_161258.jpg

20220428_161250.jpg

Kindanewtothis
3 minutes ago, 1st reef said:

I just checked phosphates and they're at zero.

Ok I'm a noob but your nitrate below 5 do not require water change. What are you others tests results? Alkalinity? I'm sure someone could weigh in with more tests results.

less than bread

Yes more parameters would help. Alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, ph.

What salt do you use? Do you use RODI water to mix your salt? What temperature are you running at? What does your filtration look like? What kind of light do you have over the tank?

your GSP look great!  They are one of my favorites.  They do tend to take over so they are usually given their own rock away from other rock they can spread too. Along with the other great ?s everyone listed I would only ask what your light schedule looks like (how long are they on for?).

Don't get discouraged.  All tanks have ups and downs.

Alk is at 8.7 9.0, dosing phosphates to bring them above zero (targeting approx 0.1) nitrates are at 5ppm or slightly under. Rocks have brown hair algae. 3 hermits aren't enough to clean them up. Will add 3 more.

I added 6 more hermits and 6 other snails. Can't remember the type.

Brushed the hair algae off the gsp.

Will start dosing with aqua forest pro bio s. As long as the nitrates remain at 5ppm, I won't do any water changes. Only top offs. I have the 5 gallon Evo stock pump.  Will it help if I upgrade?

Kindanewtothis
11 hours ago, 1st reef said:

Alk is at 8.7 9.0, dosing phosphates to bring them above zero (targeting approx 0.1) nitrates are at 5ppm or slightly under. Rocks have brown hair algae. 3 hermits aren't enough to clean them up. Will add 3 more.

I'm my long experience (lol), hermits don't clean much algaes.

• Agree 1
Merthynia

I also like trochus since they are able to flip themselves back over if they fall over. I am a huge fan of getting a cleaner package from John from reef cleaners. 

@johnmaloney is one of our sponsors here on NR. You can get pre built cleaner packages based on your hermit/snail preference and tank size, or you can create your own. John is also super knowledgeable about what cleaner is most likely to clean up the fuzz in your tank. 

• Like 1

I have someone similar in my tank that's 7 months old. I identified it as Lyngbya bacteria (but could be wrong). Placed my zoa frags that were covered in it in a quarantine tank with 1mg/L azithromycin for 4 days. It killed it. Have since placed frags back in display tank and the Lyngbya hasn't grown back on those frags.  I haven't added azithromycin to display tank as I don't want to nuke all my good bacteria so I'm just manually removing for now. 

ninjamyst

Looks easy to just take rocks out, clean rock with toothbrush and h202 50/50 mixture with tank water.  In a nano tank, manual algae removal is best.  Once you manually removed as much as you can, your CUC will maintain it going forward.  Trochus are the best snails you can get.  Astrea second.  But both will not touch algae that's too long hence the manual removal first.  Good luck!  

And you should keep doing water changes.  Regular water changes is key.  Always regular water change.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Tuxedo urchin and emerald crabs are best for algae. I also like trochus snails specifically.

Thought of the urchin but it'll destroy the corals. Trochus snails will be my next purchase. For now I have 6 nassarius snails, 1 turbo, 9 hermits.

50 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

Looks easy to just take rocks out, clean rock with toothbrush and h202 50/50 mixture with tank water.  In a nano tank, manual algae removal is best.  Once you manually removed as much as you can, your CUC will maintain it going forward.  Trochus are the best snails you can get.  Astrea second.  But both will not touch algae that's too long hence the manual removal first.  Good luck!  

And you should keep doing water changes.  Regular water changes is key.  Always regular water change.

Getting mixed advice about water changes. So say regular wc is good while others say jus to top off if nitrates ,phosphates  and alk are all good.

Kindanewtothis
1 hour ago, 1st reef said:

Getting mixed advice about water changes. So say regular wc is good while others say jus to top off if nitrates ,phosphates  and alk are all good.

If you recently had dinos, you should not do too much water change. It fules them.

2 hours ago, 1st reef said:

Thought of the urchin but it'll destroy the corals. Trochus snails will be my next purchase. For now I have 6 nassarius snails, 1 turbo, 9 hermits.

I think it's Lyngbya like I got it. Take a clump and place it in a small cup of hydrogen peroxide mixed with tank water, I bet it won't bubble and dissolve. Snails, hermits, nothing will eat it. Must be killed with azithromycin. 

5 hours ago, 1st reef said:

Destroy corals? Mine just picks up loose frags for a ride. 

10 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

If you recently had dinos, you should not do too much water change. It fules them.

About a month ago.

6 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Destroy corals? Mine just picks up loose frags for a ride. 

Lol...that's what I meant. Not really destroy.

9 hours ago, Ohmegg said:

I think it's Lyngbya like I got it. Take a clump and place it in a small cup of hydrogen peroxide mixed with tank water, I bet it won't bubble and dissolve. Snails, hermits, nothing will eat it. Must be killed with azithromycin. 

I would have to dose the tank?