Cultivated Reef

Well, that escalated quickly

Toomanymatts

On 4/27/2022 at 8:08 AM, seabass said:

Fun project.  Let me know if you need any pointers on culturing phyto; I have a culture that is several years old.  I also culture rotifers (a free swimming planktonic animal).

Thank you for that, since I have some phyto coming this week and your article made me remember that I have completely forgotten to get f/2 and sieves 😂  Too bad I can't just toss an osmocote pellet in there and call it good. 

Good luck with the cultures, Matt!  Hope they work out well for you.

15 minutes ago, Riona said:

I have completely forgotten to get f/2 and sieves

A plankton sieve isn't required for phytoplankton.  With my current culture, a haven't had to use one for a few years.  Although I still rely on one for collecting rotifers from that culture.

15 minutes ago, Riona said:

Too bad I can't just toss an osmocote pellet in there and call it good.

I used to use Miracle-Gro Liquid All Purpose Plant Food, so I imagine there are possible alternatives.  However, F/2 is well-proven and isn't as likely to build up elements harmful to reef tanks.

As far as a culture is concerned, I've even started cultures out of stray spores (although I'd recommend starting with a known species like Nannochloropsis oculata).

• Like 1

I'll probably need it for the pods, though.  Wonder if I could just use my hydro fertiliser for it and put like a drop per 2 litre bottle or something.  

You mentioned you don't sterilise your bottles between use.  I'm guessing that is because it's never been an issue?  That was the part that I was kind of nervous about since I really don't like using bleach.  

If you are just culturing pods, some people have used spirulina powder to feed their pod cultures.

40 minutes ago, Riona said:

You mentioned you don't sterilize your bottles between use.  I'm guessing that is because it's never been an issue?  That was the part that I was kind of nervous about since I really don't like using bleach.

I do clean the bottles weekly.  Sometimes I just rinse them out very well, or use a bottle brush to clean off residue.  If it's really bad I'll use hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, or even bleach to get rid of stubborn deposits.  However, I don't feel that sterilization is absolutely necessary (maybe if you're having a problem).

• Thanks 1