SaltCritters.com

Fluval 13.5 - No Nitrates/Phos problems

Captain45

20220417_153923.thumb.jpg.6110468ed6fd1116af58a60d2954271c.jpg

My Fluval has been up for about 3 months now. I used fairly established LR and sand so I never really saw a measurable cycle. My Cleanup crew did great taking care of algae, both normal and gha when it popped up about a month into the tanks life or so and I think I have the perfect amount of CUC to Tank food ratio (two trochus, one astrea, two hermits and two nassarius).  I then added 2 ricordias, and one has split already so I have 3, they seem to be doing really well.

I have a massive bloom of Copepods, all in the water column and on the glass. I also see some Amphipods swim between the rocks from time to time. Everything seems on track but I literally have never been able to detect any Nitrates or Phosphates. I added two young clownfish about 2 weeks ago to see if I could get some bioload and started feeding quite heavily 2-3 times a day but still no Nutrients and my Clowns aren't eating no matter what I do (frozen/pellets/garlic). I do see them snacking on the copepods a lot but they look rather skinny and just don't seem to be doing well (lethargic and white lumpy poo). Im not sure what Im missing here. I dont see any massive algae that would be eating my nutrients (besides brownish film on the glass that I scrape off about two to three times a week). I've cut down on water changes to about 5-10% weekly and might even cut that out in an attempt to get nutrients up, Im only running filter floss and a bag of activated carbon. Any idea's or thoughts, I've read some people dose phyto and zoo plankton? I really don't want to get Dino's or anything that comes with zero nitrates/phosphates.

My parameters otherwise seem okay.

Sal 1.025 consistently

temp 78f

Ph 8.2

Amm 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 0.2 - Salifert testkit

Phosphates 0 - RedSea Testkit

10 hours ago, Captain45 said:

my Clowns aren't eating no matter what I do (frozen/pellets/garlic)

Try some frozen mysis shrimp.  Also, you might try some good quality flake food.  I like to use Ocean Nutrition Formula Two (since clownfish are omnivores).  Keep trying small amounts a couple of times a day, removing any uneaten food.  Generally speaking, most fish won't eat food that isn't suspended in the water column.  And don't overfeed to try to boost nutrient levels.

I've cut down on water changes to about 5-10% weekly and might even cut that out in an attempt to get nutrients up

I feel that there has been a shift in water change recommendations.  Generally, I'm not recommending water changes just for the sake of water changes.  It's fine to replace water that is removed during regular maintenance (like vacuuming detritus off of the sand bed).  They can also be helpful to help remove excess nutrients (opposite of your situation).  And to an extent, water changes can replenish consumed elements (especially in soft coral tanks without much coralline algae).

white lumpy poo

Generally stringy white feces can indicate intestinal parasites.  However, I'm not sure that this indicates a problem or not.  Were these fish wild caught or captive raised?  But even captive raised fish can catch diseases or parasites while being held at the fish store.

Nitrates 0.2 - Salifert testkit

Phosphates 0 - RedSea Testkit

The fish, and feeding the fish usually does help raise nutrient levels.  However, don't overfeed in an attempt to raise nutrient levels; you'd be better off dosing nutrients instead.

I've been trying mysis as well but no go. One feeding one of the clowns devoured some spuralina brine but hasn't touched it since. I'll try some flakes and see but starting to tire of options, so far. I've tried new spectrum, tdo chroma, and pe mysis pellets, frozen mysis, frozen brine, frozen marine cuisine, and emerald cuisine, all with and without garlic and all in which they snack a bit at first then never touch any of it again. They are captive raised and kept in copper at a fairly reputable LFS. (they were on frozen mysis and new spectrum at the store) 

Initially after noticing the poop and loss of appetite I attempted metro+focus dosed food but now that they aren't eating at all really I cut that out to try and get them a healthy appetite first

What products would you recommend using for dosing for these nutrients?

Thanks

reefer_evo5

i like to feed my clownfish different pallets one type that they like is hikari seaweed extreme pellets i soak my pallets in selcon a couple of minutes before i feed them so maybe that will help