inTank Media Baskets

? on feeding snails

sadie

You know those sinking algae wafers you feed placos in fresh water.  Can you feed those to SW snails?  I think my snails are hungry.  I have sinking pellets I feed my crabs, but they eat them before the snails can get them.  

I think they are East African Ceriths.  I ordered a variety of different snails.  My limpets are all over my rocks eating, my nerites are all over my glass eating, but these guys kinda halfway hid in my sand, they would move around the sand bed, but now they are all going belly up.  Not dead.  I flip them over and they go belly up.  I had this happen a bit ago with my astreas and someone said they might be starving without a certin type of algae.  I just did a rip clean of my tank and was nervous my snails would starve so I figured I would feed them, but like I said the crabs keep eating the sinking pellets I feed.  So I thought those algae wafers, but wasn't sure if you can use them in SW.

less than bread
4 hours ago, sadie said:

I think they are East African Ceriths.  I ordered a variety of different snails.  My limpets are all over my rocks eating, my nerites are all over my glass eating, but these guys kinda halfway hid in my sand, they would move around the sand bed, but now they are all going belly up.  Not dead.  I flip them over and they go belly up.  I had this happen a bit ago with my astreas and someone said they might be starving without a certin type of algae.  I just did a rip clean of my tank and was nervous my snails would starve so I figured I would feed them, but like I said the crabs keep eating the sinking pellets I feed.  So I thought those algae wafers, but wasn't sure if you can use them in SW.

Ah ok, yes I’d say there is not enough for them to scavenge for and crabs are greedy a-holes. Try burying food for them in the sand or giving food directly to them and shooing away any greedy crabs until there is more natural waste for them to forage for

• Like 1

They have been in there about a week and half.  The problem is after I ordered them I did a rip clean on my tank.  the algae is slowly coming back.  I can see a green film on my back wall and some GHA on my rock.  I do clean my glass as needed, going around the snails.

well...the nori didn't work.  I put like a 2x2" piece on an old shell.  I went back about 15 min. later and it was all shredded and floating around my tank.  The little bit that's left under the elastic is getting eaten by my shrimp and hermits.  

They seem to be doing better though.  They have not gone belly up since I flipped them when I posted this. So I guess that's good.

• Like 2