inTank Media Baskets

Stocking list and number for 40 gallon breeder

ReefFrenzy1974

ReefFrenzy1974

I currently have a red sailfin mollie and 2 black and white clownfish with an emerald crab and peppermint shrimp. Looking to see what other fish are compatible and reef safe along with numbers. Thanks. 

My 40 breeder had a pair of clowns, a Tailspot Blenny, a Mandarin, a Flame Angel, and a Dottyback.

I would advise against a Dottyback with timid fish because they are bullies.

Dwarf Angels tend to pick at coral, but mine was a model citizen.

3 hours ago, ReefFrenzy1974 said:

I currently have a red sailfin mollie and 2 black and white clownfish with an emerald crab and peppermint shrimp. Looking to see what other fish are compatible and reef safe along with numbers. Thanks. 

Maybe a pair of Banggai cardinal fish? 

ReefFrenzy1974
3 minutes ago, joshthebox said:

Maybe a pair of Banggai cardinal fish? 

I’ve considered them but from what I’ve seen they don’t move around much. 

ReefFrenzy1974
13 minutes ago, MrsK said:

My 40 breeder had a pair of clowns, a Tailspot Blenny, a Mandarin, a Flame Angel, and a Dottyback.

I would advise against a Dottyback with timid fish because they are bullies.

Dwarf Angels tend to pick at coral, but mine was a model citizen.

How did your flame back do? I love their colors and that’s the one I’ve picked for my “centerpiece fish” but I’ve heard others say they won’t do well in a 40 gallon tank. 

9 minutes ago, ReefFrenzy1974 said:

I’ve considered them but from what I’ve seen they don’t move around much. 

Yeah they kind of float around. Beautiful fish though. Maybe get a wrasse if you want something colourful that moves? 

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, ReefFrenzy1974 said:

How did your flame back do? I love their colors and that’s the one I’ve picked for my “centerpiece fish” but I’ve heard others say they won’t do well in a 40 gallon tank. 

My Flame angel was good. No nipping on or eating my corals. He was always out and about and ate well. I would say 40 gallons is probably the smallest tank I would put one in. He did get kinda aggressive with my TSB as he got bigger though.

• Like 1
ReefFrenzy1974
55 minutes ago, MrsK said:

My Flame angel was good. No nipping on or eating my corals. He was always out and about and ate well. I would say 40 gallons is probably the smallest tank I would put one in. He did get kinda aggressive with my TSB as he got bigger though.

How long have you had it? Did you just use an algae clip to feed it or what?

ReefFrenzy1974
1 hour ago, MrsK said:

My 40 breeder with my mollie above my GSP and a separate pic of my clownfish. Thinking they’ve paired as they’re ALWAYS together. 

FCAED864-789F-4E66-A04B-A8E6D0099949.jpeg

9391CD61-3FB3-4464-AFD5-9C2133824526.jpeg

2 hours ago, joshthebox said:

Yeah they kind of float around. Beautiful fish though. Maybe get a wrasse if you want something colourful that moves? 

Agree,

As soon as I get a big enough tank, a wrasse is one of the first species on my list.

I have a flame in my 80g... has gotten mean with age. Bullies anything new for sure. 

You could do a wrasse, something small like a lubbucks and/or a McCosker or Carpenters wrasse. - they will swim non stop. 

Tailspot blennys have tons of personality

Yellowhead jawfish also have great personality

Royal gramma

Springer damsel

• Like 1
  • Agree 2