ReefCleaners.org

Plastic storage containers

Dave MN Nano

Dave MN Nano

Are all plastic storage containers safe for an ATO reservoir? I am using a sterilite container like this. I saw some scummy, whispy looking stuff in the water today.  C36A515F-848F-4A23-8A15-FA3D8A73969D.thumb.png.df898828c0e09a16e157fdd28cc95ff0.png

ryans.salty.crew
6 minutes ago, Dave MN Nano said:

Are all plastic storage containers safe for an ATO reservoir? I am using a sterilite container like this. I saw some scummy, whispy looking stuff in the water today.  C36A515F-848F-4A23-8A15-FA3D8A73969D.thumb.png.df898828c0e09a16e157fdd28cc95ff0.png

I don't have an answer for if they're safe or not, assuming so since we put super glue and other plastics in our tank.

BUT you should look at dog food containers, some even have a seal around the lid! They're also more vertical. 

• Like 1

I don't use them as an ATO reservoir, but I've got some of those and they're probably sturdy enough to be a reservoir.  I haven't seen any sort of residue on them, and there shouldn't be any breakdown or gradation in the longer term, so my guess would be that you've got something in your top off water that's doing it or that your ATO system is backwashing.  It's not uncommon for some amount of bacteria to grow on the output of an RO system even with the low nutrient levels, so while I don't see any of that in mine, it does sometimes smell musty.  Easy solution would be to rinse it, and if you want to be thorough, use a splash of bleach (but don't splash it on yourself) when you clean it or soak it when full.

• 4 weeks later...

I would use something more substantial than that tub.  It's not really designed for the weight/pressure of water and I'd hate for it to crack on you one day.  

I use this for my reservoir.  Wide mouth easily accommodates a pump.  Painted mine black and it sits behind tank on the floor.  

https://www.amazon.com/Arrow-Home-Products-76601-Dispenser/dp/B076BRSX2V

If that is too small, consider a basic 5 gallon bucket.  Super cheap and you can find commercial grade ones that are more rigid.  Cutting holes in lid is easy for lines and cords.  

Some people buy the commercially produced reservoirs but they, in my opinion, are ridiculously expensive.  I know, I know that acrylic isn't cheap but there is just something odd about spending well over $100 (and then some) for a box for ro water.  

Could also just use another tank.  Super cheap, even free ones, can be found on sites like Nextdoor, Craigslist, etc.  You can get a piece of glass to sit on top and greatly cut down on evaporation.  

Good luck!

• Like 1