Coral Vue Hydros

RFAs not doing great

BioBoy16

Hello all,

Bought two new rock flower anemones about 4 days ago. Neither has put its foot down and one has folded into a weird shape and looks worse for wear. See pic. I have seen both eat at one point or another but the one in the pic looks terrible at the moment. Also caught my peppermint shrimp picking at it when the lights went out. Not sure what the problem is. Did not have these difficulties with my first one. I have had the green one for months and it's grown significantly. I have them corraled in the corner of the tank and the pumps turned down low. My other corals are suffering at this point due to the low flow for days. Not sure what do do at this point.  

Any idea why they won't put their foot down? Any hope for the red one? I do have a heavy cyano outbreak after dosing vibrant. Could that be the cause? Either the vibrant or the cyano?

Params:

Salinity- 1.206

Alk - 8-9

Calc- 440

Nitrates and phosphates - near zero/undetected

20220420_105257.jpg

20220420_111056.jpg

20220420_111100.jpg

NoOneLikesADryTang

They could have gotten damaged when plucked out of the tank they were in. Can you see their foot? If it’s damaged, it more than likely won’t make it. 

I would suggest, to turn up your flow, you could put them in a small container, that would shelter them from flow, and then turn your pumps back up. I like PVC caps, and RFAs seem to love them. With PVC caps, I can push them down in to the sand and totally hide the PVC cap, while the rock flower remains attached and happy. 

Thanks for the input. I will definitely try some sort of shelter for them or just let them settle in a low flow spot they choose at this point. 

That was my first thought was maybe they were damaged when they got plucked out. The white one seems to be ok but it's foot is just not sticky in the slightest. The whole nem is more slimy than anything. I read this can be due to stress but i acclimated them over for an hour and gave them many days to relax. Not sure what the problem is still. The red one I think may have a minor tear but it's hard to tell with the way it's folded up. It was very responsive the first couple of days but after the pep shrimp had it's way with it last night it hasn't been moving much and is very shriveled. 

25 minutes ago, DevilDuck said:

I'm assuming the salinity is a typo for 1.026.

You can put them in a glass that has the bottom lined with rock rubble or shells and let them heal and attach in a lower flow area.

Salinity is 1.026. Yes sorry typing too quickly in my semi panicked state haha. I took ur advice and dry tangs and did just that. Put them in a cup with a nice rock to latch onto. Here's a good shot of the red ones foot. Not really sure if it's damaged or just folded weirdly. White one looks like its trying to hike on. The red one just lays there folded strongly. Hoping that one pulls through. Really liking its colors. Appreciate your help guys. 20220420_140743.thumb.jpg.d570b2ec5c05c442fc4d891eb87fcddd.jpg

Just signed a light on it and does look like it has a big cut in its foot and maybe part of the head. Hope I didn't do this with poor care or moving it too rough. Maybe I will contact the store and see if I can get another if it doesn't make it. Idk if the white one is attaching or just moving around but it's foot is atleast on the rock. Praying for some positive outcomes here 😅

• Like 1

Sorry blowing up my own post here but the other one looks like it has a small rip in its foot too. Any chance they'll make it? I've heard mixed results with tears in anemones. 

20220420_161946.jpg

1 hour ago, Alexraptor said:

Have you done a "sniff test"? If it smells like death, then It's in all likelihood doom.

When I picked them up and moved them into the cup they didn't smell like low tide. I didn't get my nose up in there but I'm familiar with the smell. I just moved the cup to a different spot with alittle move flow over the top and they seem to be semi stuck to things. Atleast not rolling all around at the slightest bit of current like before. I think I'll leave them in the cup for a couple days and see what happens. Really appreciate all the feedback guys. Did fw for years and am realizing sw can get tricky quick. U guys help alot. 

• Like 2
less than bread

I think they have a decent chance of making it. It's good they are still open but it might take a while for them to heal fully. I think the best thing you could do is isolate them in like dish or something in a low flow area of the tank like you're doing and leave them there for a while. The danger right now is if they are not attaching to anything, they could get picked up by the flow and carried into a powerhead. I noobishly injured my rock flower when I moved tanks last September and it is just starting to look like it's old self again.

Thanks Bread. Yeah I am going to keep them in this cup until they look nice and healed. I was kind of a noob as well. I kept poking and prodding them the first couple days trying to get them to stay put. My first one took some effort too, but once it got its little spot it liked it sucked in there like superglue. Took maybe 15-20 minutes. Figured the same would happen with these guys and was so confused why their foot was never extending down. Wasn't until someone suggested the little cup idea that I got to see their feet real well and noticed the tears. The poking and prodding definitely didn't help the healing, but hey going on day 5 and they haven't turned to mush yet so fingers crossed.

Kind of sad these little guys so often get hurt when removed from the LFS tank.

Red one doing poorly this morning. Cut looks like it spread into the flower and the mouth is hanging open. Not sure if it's feeding or just unhealthy. Should I pull it out or give it the benefit of the doubt and leave it?

20220422_105308.jpg

26 minutes ago, DevilDuck said:

Definitely doesn't look so hot. Is it still attached? 

No this one just rolls around. Hope it makes it. Looks like a watermelon it's so cool. 

The red ones gone. Woke up this morning and it's just gone. I have the cup mounted up high in the tank so the pep wouldn't get at it. Must have still found a way in and ripped it to shreds. Can't find even a piece of it. No idea how or what happened 😞

• Sad 1