Innovative Marine Aquariums

Fluval Evo 13.5 flow upgrade options

Ambs

I have been doing a lot of research on different flow options and can't decide which direction to go in.

Option 1: sicce synchra 1.0 return pump and single random flow generator ( my tank didn't come with the y split loc lines)

Option 2: sicce synchra 0.5 return pump and a small wavemaker of some kind.

I'm trying to do this tank on the budget friendly side while still taking my time and setting it up right the first time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

less than bread

I know many go with just a stronger return pump for the evo. I like having a powerhead though as it gives more options for controlling the flow direction.

I used this one with just the stock return pump when I ran an evo and it worked just fine: https://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Sea-Circulation-Pump-Aquarium/dp/B009XSGI3S/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=fluval+cp1+circulation+pump&qid=1650031523&sprefix=fluval+cp1%2Caps%2C105&sr=8-1

What types of animals are you keeping or planning on keeping?

• Thanks 1
Toomanymatts

I left the pump stock and went with two SICCE Voyager Nano 1000 stream pumps.  I had some left over KASA smart plugs, so I hooked one pump up to each plug and left it on away mode so it turns on and off at random.   

• Thanks 1
  • 11 months later...
On 4/16/2022 at 8:58 PM, Ambs said:

I went with the sicce 1.0 and will add ordered a cheap little powerhead incase I need it later.

Thanks!

How does the noise compare with the stock pump? My stock pump vibrates quite a bit. I thought it was loud until I plugged in the PS2 Mini Skimmer :)

AjaxTheSoap
On 4/10/2023 at 4:02 PM, phinatic said:

How does the noise compare with the stock pump? My stock pump vibrates quite a bit. I thought it was loud until I plugged in the PS2 Mini Skimmer :)

I have the sicce syncra 1.0 it can be quite loud at times due to it butting up against the 30 degree or so angle jut out in chamber 3. It is also a pain in the ass to get in with out some good leverage. 

Ajax,

how tight of a fit is the Sicce?

I currently run the stock return pump, and a maxpsect gyre 2k in my tank. Pushing about 80x turnover. I want more flow, but turning up the gyre past 60% turns into a sandstorm, so looking to upgrade the return. I do have a Fluval M100 heater and an INKBIRD probe in chamber 3 with the return. Do you think it could still fit ?

• 2 weeks later...

I just swapped to the Fiji Flow DC 300. Flow and controller are a nice upgrade. The pump is also smaller than stock. My one complaint is the noise. I expected the DC pump to be quieter, but it makes a clicking noise. If anyone else goes with this pump on the EVO, I'd be curious to know if they also get the clicking.

ss1.jpeg

ss4.jpeg

ss3.jpeg

ss2.jpeg

AjaxTheSoap
On 4/16/2023 at 10:22 AM, EireSPS said:

Ajax,

how tight of a fit is the Sicce?

I currently run the stock return pump, and a maxpsect gyre 2k in my tank. Pushing about 80x turnover. I want more flow, but turning up the gyre past 60% turns into a sandstorm, so looking to upgrade the return. I do have a Fluval M100 heater and an INKBIRD probe in chamber 3 with the return. Do you think it could still fit ?

Like Phinatic said. Just gotta leverage it a jam it in past the ledge. Then pretty good. But I regret not getting a pump with a controller. I want to have a feed mode! 

On 4/16/2023 at 11:22 AM, EireSPS said:

I currently run the stock return pump, and a maxpsect gyre 2k in my tank. Pushing about 80x turnover. I want more flow[....]

Time to stop chasing the number.   GPH is barely useful to begin with.   When we further abstract GPH to "X turnover" it's essentially useless....or even misleading.

Stronger flow at the same (or less) GPH might be the way to go.  For that you need higher flow velocity....not more GPH.

On 4/16/2023 at 11:22 AM, EireSPS said:

but turning up the gyre past 60% turns into a sandstorm, so looking to upgrade the return. I do have a Fluval M100 heater and an INKBIRD probe in chamber 3 with the return. Do you think it could still fit ?

You might have to replace the sand with something more compatible....or even go bare bottom.

That said, if you can amp your flow up slowly so it *just* moves a grain of sand now and then you have just the right amount of flow IMO.  Sounds like you might be able to do that with the gear you have.

You'll want to go bare-bottom if you want more flow than that.

On 4/27/2023 at 1:50 PM, phinatic said:

I just swapped to the Fiji Flow DC 300. Flow and controller are a nice upgrade. The pump is also smaller than stock. My one complaint is the noise. I expected the DC pump to be quieter, but it makes a clicking noise. If anyone else goes with this pump on the EVO, I'd be curious to know if they also get the clicking.

Expectation could be the main problem.  

DC pumps aren't that much different from AC pumps.  

You're also comparing a "triple-A" brand AC pump to a no-name DC pump.  

I don't know if you can ask the pump maker ("Fiji"?), but it could be a defect...possibly under warranty, if it has one.  Clicking is not really a normal pump noise.  Rattles, hums or vibrations...potentially yes.

(Also, it's not uncommon for pumps to quiet a little bit as they run in....in case it's not a defect, maybe just wait to see if it improves.)

• Like 1
14 hours ago, mcarroll said:

but it could be a defect...possibly under warranty, if it has one.  Clicking is not really a normal pump noise.

BRS said it was a defect and sent a new one that should be here soon. The closest thing I can equate it to is the clicking you hear from an old school film reel projector as it spins. Fingers crossed on the new one. Other than the sound, it was a great pump with lots of plumbing options.

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

That pump just launched. I crunched the numbers, it should fit fine. I just added a IM wave line to the tank. The waste suspension is so good with that and a Fiji dc 300!