Innovative Marine Aquariums

TINY Little creatures on my zoas

ryans.salty.crew

ryans.salty.crew

Hello,

I really wish I had a picture for this one but without a professional camera this isn't possible. 

During the last 30 min of my day cycle, sometimes I will take an LED light and look closely at my zoas and rock. Last night I saw these very small moving dots on the bottom of my zoas. They actually move pretty fast. They were only on one set of Zoa's that I've had in the tank for probably a month now. Wondering what they are, any tip or suggestion to look something up would be great.

Thanks guys!

ryans.salty.crew
47 minutes ago, 10g4Me said:

def not pods. They're way smaller. Small enough for 7-8 to fit on one small zoa head.

They also aren't jumpy like pods. I would describe them more as sliding. But they are like the size of a pods leg, so small.

ryans.salty.crew
17 hours ago, DevilDuck said:

I think your confusing copepods with the larger amphipods. 

Just make sure they don't look like any of these: Salty Underground: Zoanthid Pests and Diseases

Are they irritating the zoas and causing them to close u p?

They are not irritating the zoas. Hmmmm, I looked at my Zoas more last night and they are on all of them. They look like small little white dots when the light is shinned on them. How small are copepods? Still a few months new to reefing. 

30 minutes ago, 10g4Me said:

They are not irritating the zoas. Hmmmm, I looked at my Zoas more last night and they are on all of them. They look like small little white dots when the light is shinned on them. How small are copepods? Still a few months new to reefing. 

Copepods are the size of needle points.  Very very small.  Well more than 8 could fit on one zoanthid. 

If you look closely on your glass, you will likely see more. 

• Like 1