Innovative Marine Aquariums

Hanna powder reagents. Is there a better way?

less than bread

less than bread

I was just chatting with one of the workers at my LFS (he might be on this forum, if so, whats up Joseph!) and we were talking about the Hanna powder reagents and how it's kind of a pain to try to make sure you get every bit of it into that little testing vial. He said he is actually working on an aqueous solution for it. Has anyone else looked into this or know why Hanna hasn't come out with more liquid reagents?

3 hours ago, less than bread said:

I was just chatting with one of the workers at my LFS (he might be on this forum, if so, whats up Joseph!) and we were talking about the Hanna powder reagents and how it's kind of a pain to try to make sure you get every bit of it into that little testing vial. He said he is actually working on an aqueous solution for it. Has anyone else looked into this or know why Hanna hasn't come out with more liquid reagents?

There really isn't a need - the amount of powder dust that clings to the inside of the packets affects the measurement far less than the margin of error on the colorometer. It isn't throwing your tests off at all.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • 1 month later...
On 4/6/2022 at 7:44 PM, jservedio said:

There really isn't a need - the amount of powder dust that clings to the inside of the packets affects the measurement far less than the margin of error on the colorometer. It isn't throwing your tests off at all.

100% correct I asked Ken from Hanna last year at RAP about this and he said the same thing you said, the amount of powder left in the packet is within the margin of error. 

• 9 months later...

This is an interesting discussion... 

Couple weeks ago I got both my kids to try a Calcium test at the same time. 

One missed a pinch of powder re-agent. The test result was 20ppm less calcium. 

So ya, not a big deal. I like to think the test has at least a 20ppm margin or error. My gut says probably around 50ppm. 

• Like 1
On 4/6/2022 at 3:45 PM, less than bread said:

The API Nitrate liquids work with the Hanna High Range test.