SaltCritters.com

Need help/ideas for removing super glue from AIO acrylic

Zer0

I originally super glued an encrusting monti frag to the back wall of my AIO, which is acrylic. My shrimp started picking at the flesh relentlessly and it started losing tissue so I had to extricate it from its spot. It was a nightmare, but I somehow managed to actually break the plug base off the acrylic, without destroying anything at all. It was a miracle.

Now, I have the leftover glue spot remaining on the wall, and I don’t really know how to get rid of it. The only thing I can think of is using a chisel or flat head screwdriver and just chip away at it little by little over the next couple weeks.

Any ideas? I added a photo of the spot in question.

982E4684-FBB8-4E13-A55A-B351B65511D8.jpeg

Superglue actually melts acrylic so that spot is permeant. You will have to empty the tank, level it with a razor blade or sandpaper, then do a multistep polishing process to remove it. 

Probably better to just hide the spots behind some rocks or have something encrust over it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Better and faster solution and it will look flawless, please follow these four steps…

Step 1 go to www.microreefsaquariums.com

Step 2 go to contact page

Step 3 send us an email that you are interested in a replacement acrylic tank to the exact dimensions of that tank that is permanently marked up.

Step 4 remember to ask for a nano reef discount. 😂😊😮

• Haha 7
  • Wow 1
22 hours ago, empresto said:

Curious, what kind of shrimp do you have that eats montipora?

It’s a cleaner shrimp, I don’t know if he was eating it, but he certainly would never leave it alone and I caught him picking at it a couple times. I feed the tank 3 times a day and spot feed the shrimp, so I don’t think it was a hunger issue. Either that, or it was losing tissue on its own and the shrimp was just picking off dead bits. Whatever the case, I moved it and the shrimp no longer bothers it, so idk lol

Are you sure it wasn't just that goni directly below the glue spot wrecking your monti at night and then the cleaner shrimp mopping up the carnage in the morning? It sure looks like that to me!

• Agree 1

A razor blade or a scraper can help remove any glue that's still there sitting on the surface mostly the rough part that's sticking up on the surface. It wont be as noticable then but the actual acrylic underneath will still have marks it wont ever be perfect as said it melts into the acrylic..depends on how bad yours is melted into it. Just be carefull not to gouge the acrylic and make it worse. I've done this same thing with my nuvo 20. 

Letting coraline cover that wall after or an 3ncrusting coral will help hide it completly.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, jservedio said:

Are you sure it wasn't just that goni directly below the glue spot wrecking your monti at night and then the cleaner shrimp mopping up the carnage in the morning? It sure looks like that to me!

I don’t know why I didn’t realize that, but it’s possible that this might have happened. The tissue loss only seemed to be on the bottom right side of the frag, which is the closest spot to the goni. 🤦‍♂️