SaltCritters.com

Alage issues

Toomanymatts

Toomanymatts

I've been dealing with this mess for about 3 weeks.  Last week I brushed about 1/4 of the rock work (that flat white rock and a little to the either side)  along with siphoning through the sand below (about 1/4) of the bed.  As you can see it came back with in 6 days pretty good.  Nitrates are 0.  What do you suggest?   

20220402_122605.jpg

M. Tournesol
16 minutes ago, Toomanymatts said:

How do I get them up?

Feeding more or dose PO4   🤷‍♂️ ? 

But before doing anything you should look at guides about dino on the internet and confirm that is really what you have.

How to identify Dinoflagellates

The best way to identify Dinoflagellates (dinos) in your tank is to siphon a sample out of your tank into a small see-through container, preferably with a lid. For an easier sample, you can always use a turkey baster to try and grab a few specimens. Shake the container and finish by filtering the water through a paper towel. Once the water is seemingly clear again, leave it alone for about an hour and if it is a type of dino, then evidence of dino will begin to appear again.

Once you know that it’s a dino, you can begin to investigate its physical characteristics to determine what specific type it is.

You know that it is becoming a problem based on the appearance of your tank. Look for brown-looking lime in high-flow areas or areas that are well lit. Are some of the inhabitants of your tank dying? How are your snails and other invertebrates? Check your pH and if it is low for seemingly no reason, there is a potential that dinos could be the cause. (source)

dinoflagellateid12_12_2019-1-pdf.6827

I agree, this is Dinoflagellates rather than algae.  The trapped air bubbles and slimy texture are big indicators. 

As mentioned raising nutrients helps. Also increasing the bio-diversity in the tank so dosing phytoplankton, adding copepods and mysis shrimp will help too. 

Toomanymatts

I ordered a phosphate test kit and some nitrate supplements.  I only have inverts in there at this time. Also increasing feeding too.  I'll look into the other tips as well.  Starting to clean it out daily too.  

• Like 1