Coral Vue Hydros

pounds of rock to use ?

CMuentener

Hello all,

I'm in the process of upgrading into a system.  My question is about how much rock is needed for a stable system.  I'm trying to build an aquascape that allows for coral placement and growth and still leaves open space for water movement, placement of corals in the sand bed and potentially more fish.  My question is if I'm following the rule of 1lb rock per gallon of tank can I under load the display tank and over load the sump tank? Should still be the same surface area for bacterial growth? 

Also, does the type of rock that you use play a factor in the tanks stability/ cycling ?  My first system I used Caribsea life rock and this time around I'm using Marco rock.  The Marco rock is way more porous and I'm wondering if I could get away with less Marco rock per gallon ?

Thank You 

TheKleinReef
29 minutes ago, CMuentener said:

My question is if I'm following the rule of 1lb rock per gallon of tank can I under load the display tank and over load the sump tank? Should still be the same surface area for bacterial growth? 

out dated rule to follow.

With the advancements in bio media, you can supplement a minimal amount of rock with bio media. I have ~20 pounds of rock in 80G, but i have 2L of seachem matrix in the sump to help compensate. which is what it seems you're aiming to do.

the more important factors when it comes to minimal rock for a scape are:

1. is there enough ways to break line of sight for aggression between fish

2. is there enough space between rock so when corals grow out, the space around the rock isn't limited too much (especially in SPS tanks where flow is very important.)

minimalism tanks are cool, but fish habitat is also something that should not be overlooked.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

perfect thank you guys.   I'm new to the hobby, just over a year but I'm looking forward to building up a new reef . The new tank is going to be leather and soft coral dominant. Any aquascape suggestions?

I love leathers and soft coral, can't wait to see!!

Also remember, some coral come on rock.  I have acquired over a pound of LR just from coral I have purchased.  Not all of them come on plugs.

M. Tournesol
On 4/1/2022 at 1:33 AM, CMuentener said:

perfect thank you guys.   I'm new to the hobby, just over a year but I'm looking forward to building up a new reef . The new tank is going to be leather and soft coral dominant. Any aquascape suggestions?

An aquascape highly depends on the dimension of your tank and the rock you have.

For inspiration look at: