Top Shelf Aquatics

which wave maker?

sadie

I am looking for a wavemaker for my 16 gal Biocube.  Right now I have the Hydor Flo Rotating Power Head Wavemaker.  I have used one of these for years, but about every 6 months they get so covered in coraline, that they stop rotating, cutting down the water flow.  I also have a korilina power head for a nano.

I have heard good things about Jebao, but not sure which size would be good for my tank.

Will I still need to use my power head, or would the wave maker replace the power head?  I have my power head kinda in the middle close to the back wall to move the water behind my rock.

I think this picture shows both.  You can see the Hydro in the upper left corner, it usually rotated breaking the surface of the water, then flowing down over the rest of the tank, but like I said, it doesn't really turn any more.  I clean it often, it's just covered in coraline.

If anyone has pictures of theirs, feel free to post them.  i am curious where people place them.

thanks

black out day 1 3.27.22.JPG

M. Tournesol
1 minute ago, sadie said:

every 6 months they get so covered in coraline, that they stop rotating

Acid citric bath doesn't work? Another type of powerhead may also have the same problem with Coraline.

6 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

Acid citric bath doesn't work? Another type of powerhead may also have the same problem with Coraline.

I have not tried that, but I did soak it in something (vinegar or peroxide can't remember) all it did was turn the coraline white, it didn't remove it, so it still didn't rotate it.

The coraline doesn't bother the function of my power head so I'm thinking it won't bother the wave maker either.

M. Tournesol
34 minutes ago, sadie said:

I have not tried that, but I did soak it in something (vinegar or peroxide can't remember) all it did was turn the coraline white, it didn't remove it, so it still didn't rotate it.

To remove it, you may need a very long acidic bath. 

For wave makers, my only experience is with a nero 3 (7 gallons cube) and a red sea REEFWAVE 25 (8 gallons shallow).

Wouldn't recommend the red sea for a nano 😅.

On the contrary, I would recommend you the nero 3. It's a little costly (180€) and a little difficult to direct as it's a flat design but I love it 🥰. And the controlling app is superb👍(not like the red sea app 🤮).

• Like 1

The jebao slw series is good for the price. I started off with the slw-10 in my 20G before upgrading to the Nero 3.

Both are nice and compact but the Nero 3 is much more customisable via the app compared to just the controller for the jebao. 

I currently have the Nero 3 right in the centre of the back wall. 

4B20AEA6-6F08-4254-BF62-7E207B7DE5AB.thumb.jpeg.8f021af698334f84675eeddc8e000e23.jpeg

• Like 2

I don't think I would use an app, I don't have a smart phone.  I do have a tablet, but not sure that would work.  

Nice looking tank, is that the only thing you have in your tank for flow?  

6 minutes ago, DevilDuck said:

I was just watching videos of both the nero 3 and the Jebao, and of the 2 I think I like Jebao better.  No computer needed.  ☺️

I have a bottle of citric acid (I make mozerella cheese with it).  But it's not my pump that's the problem, but the little spinning head off my outtake.  Maybe I will soak it in that, then replace my power head with the wave maker.  

The funny thing is, neither the jaebo or nero make waves.  It the same thing as a power head, just more compact.  the hydro actually makes little waves on the surface of the water.  

• Like 1

this is what I have now,(not my tnak though) along with a power head.  See how it spins around.  When it hits the top of the water, it actually makes little waves.  Mine is closer to the surface of the water so it is more effective, but it stopped spinning so it just sits in one direction.  I try to have it up so it breaks up the surface of the water, but when I move it, it starts spinning then stops where ever.

I probably should clean my pump too thought, I would get more power out of it.  I don't think I have done that in a while.  

M. Tournesol
37 minutes ago, sadie said:

The funny thing is, neither the jaebo or nero make waves.  It the same thing as a power head, just more compact.  the hydro actually makes little waves on the surface of the water.  

If you want waves, you could have your wave maker closer to the surface or have it do short water bursts. By finding the resonance of your tank, you could create a standing wave.

• Like 1

I just soaked all my pumps and the hydro nozzle in citric acid, looks almost brand new and it works again!!:happydance:

I think I will still get the Jebao because I like the look of it better then big bulky power head.  Not sure if I will put it on the back wall or exactly where I have my power head.  I feel like I need the extra flow behind those rocks so I will probably put it on the side where my power head is.

Thanks everyone!!

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

I just bought the Hygger wavemaker and I am extremely pleased/impressed with it!  Got it for my UNS60A (around 20 gallons) to supplement the flow of the AIO filtration.  I was going to do a review later on, but definitely check it out.  Since you return stuff fairly easily these days to Amazon, worth the try.  For what it is worth, I have also used Hygger lights (on my freshwater tanks) and a heater (in my reef) and all have worked wonderfully.  

https://www.amazon.com/hygger-Powerhead-Controller-Saltwater-Circulation/dp/B083LP42WZ

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I have both the SLW-10 and 20 in my 20 gallon cube. I first got the 10 thinking it was going to be strong enough. Even on high i don't think it was enough. After that i got the 20. Its not much bigger at all and has a lot more power. Now with both of them in the tank i run the 10 on as high as it will go. And i run the 20 on the lower side. I think both pumps are great. But i would suggest to get the SLW-20 considering its not much bigger and you can always run it lower. 

Just my opinion. 

• 2 months later...
All American Reefs
On 3/29/2022 at 4:16 PM, NanoGrant said:

The jebao slw series is good for the price. I started off with the slw-10 in my 20G before upgrading to the Nero 3.

Both are nice and compact but the Nero 3 is much more customisable via the app compared to just the controller for the jebao. 

I currently have the Nero 3 right in the centre of the back wall. 

4B20AEA6-6F08-4254-BF62-7E207B7DE5AB.thumb.jpeg.8f021af698334f84675eeddc8e000e23.jpeg

With having it on the backwall like that I'm assuming the magnet portion is within the AIO chamber. Is that magnet able to be in the water? I had thought it should be kept on the outside of the glass and dry.

On 8/11/2022 at 5:37 PM, All American Reefs said:

With having it on the backwall like that I'm assuming the magnet portion is within the AIO chamber. Is that magnet able to be in the water? I had thought it should be kept on the outside of the glass and dry.

Yeah it’s fully sealed inside a plastic coating. Had no issues. 

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, filonina said:

Can you write why you need this device?

I have an all-in-one, the UNS60A, which is typically used for freshwater.  The pump does a decent job, but to get the flow/water surface agitation, I found that even with a more powerful pump, I still had some dead spots in the tank.  The upgraded pump also can only do so much as the overflow is limited in terms of water it sends to pump.  

The one I have, the Hygger, is simply awesome and I couldn't recommend it enough.  It really moves the water and has a random mode that creates nice, wave like conditions.  

• 3 months later...

I recently received a SLW-10. It’s a really nice little pump for the money, very low profile, but the magnet is very weak (I am using it on an innovative marine tank). It would not stay in place while operating and I had to use an old mag float magnet I had laying around to keep it in place until some upgraded magnets arrive. 

• Like 1