Innovative Marine Aquariums

Should I Use This Tetra Filter?

reeftankdude

Hi,

usually reef tanks to not require the external/internal filtersystems like the ones you use with freshwater.

The job is done through bacteria and microrganisments living on the reef stone surfaces. All you need is water circulation (current) and a protein skimmer.

However some use this external filters or something similar for being able to filter through absorbing materials from time to time.

Be aware, that filtering through carbon over too long period may absorb other mineral elements too, that your reef requires. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Those filters will not move much water, which is more important in a filter for reef tanks.  As above have said, the "filtration" is done by the live rock and cultures in the live sand.  Nothing wrong with supplementing that (with hang on back, in, etc. filter) but should not the primary source of "cleaning" the water.  Plenty of folks use carbon, other materials to clean/reduce pollutants and or some floss to help.  They do a great job, but should be viewed as a minor player in the filtration system of your tank.  

People tend to go with powerheads or strong pump to get great water movement and then some sort of filter (hang on, sump, over flow system) to house the filter media (floss, carbon, etc.) and that is about it.  Think more about what you want your filter to go, in terms of a goal, and that will help guide the process of selecting one.  Lots of different approaches.  

To do a bit of self promotion, I have an AC70 filter (with inTank media basket) for sale in the classified section.  I used it on my 5.5 and then 9.6 gallon tanks so it would be okay for a 20, if you then added a powerhead for extra movement.  

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1