Cultivated Reef

crustacean classification

chufa

Being a biologist, I am intrigued by the microfauna associated with this hobby, and also present in my tank. I would want to properly identify the tiny critters, particularly the crustaceans. Commonly there seems to me to be four main groups:

Isopods: Most diverse, mostly crawling (?), pair of eyes, no grasping legs, only one pair of uropods (rear appendages). Got plenty of those.

Amphipods: pair of eyes, one pair of grasping legs, three pairs of uropods, mostly shrimp-like and swimming. Seen a few, but are quickly eaten.

Copepods. Complicated morphology, single eye, cephalosome (kin of a "helmet" covering the head), 6 pairs of paeropods. Haven't seen those in my tank.

Ostrapods: body enclosed in a carapace. Look like a "flying saucer". Haven't seen those either, but somebody here appeared to have some.

I would appreciate any additional comments and corrections. Also, if you could direct me to a good website or book. Also, in your experience, which ones are the most common? Thanks

???

i think amphipods are more common. in my systems anyway. heck, i can't tell a buick from a ford nowadays.

are those compound eyes on some of them?

Originally posted by chufa

Being a biologist, I am intrigued by the microfauna associated with this hobby, .......

I would appreciate any additional comments and corrections. Also, if you could direct me to a good website or book.  Also, in your experience, which ones are the most common? Thanks

Uhhhh Biologist? Hobby? Corrections? just one word from me. and Im not EVEN going to say it. It starts with the letter "R" .

Ya should know this stuff. :rolleyes: What Kinda Biologist are U ? A student? If so, Say it in yer profile.

No, I am not a student anymore, neither I am a marine biologist, or I would not be asking. I am a molecular biologist.

I've found some good sites. Made me wish I had a microscope.

Archived