Pod Your Reef

40 breeder?

Riona

Omg, not ANOTHER post asking which lights to use on one of these!!!

Just starting back into things.  Put 20# of rock in my 40 breeder last week.  Will need more, but that's another topic for another day :tongueout:

Basically I'm wondering what to light it with.  I'd prefer to stick to LEDs.  I'm mostly planning to have LPS, though possibly a few birdsnest corals and a clam down the road up towards the top 1/3.  Issue is (besides that I don't have a phone I can download apps on.  Thing's ancient and full in storage with nothing I can delete) I'd rather not have something incredibly overpowered that I've got to dial way back.  My LFS suggested 2 AI Primes, running them at less than half power, but besides the price tag, that just seems excessive.  I've seen Viparspectras suggested pretty often.  One would have shading on the edges, though, but I'd assume two would leave a pretty big bright spot in the middle that I'd need to be wary of. 

Anything else anyone can suggest that isn't too pricey, isn't super weak, but wouldn't be complete overkill either?

Thank you in advance!

33 minutes ago, Riona said:

My LFS suggested 2 AI Primes, running them at less than half power, but besides the price tag, that just seems excessive. 

I've seen Viparspectras suggested pretty often.  One would have shading on the edges, though, but I'd assume two would leave a pretty big bright spot in the middle that I'd need to be wary of. 

Those are my two options I'd consider for most affordable light setup. 

Re: bright spots in middle, You raise the light off the tank for better spread, but there is always compromise in any light choice.  I found a 125 gallon with 3 x 165W viparspectras online,

1029181958_film3-01-jpeg.877156

Topic for the 125 Gallon tank

I'm running one on a 10 gallon and my blues are at 35 percent with 1 percent whites.  You adjust intensity and raise above water level to get the desired color and intensity you're looking for.

1 x 165w Vipar would probably give you a bright spot, 2 would probably not.  But that's a guess.  I'm planning on running a 40 breeder with my light at some point in the future.

125 are 6 feet long, I think, so it'd still be two feet of coverage for one, not the 3 for my tank.  I just need a 75 gallon so I can do 2 of them.  Shame I've got nowhere to put one.  

10 hours ago, Jakesaw said:

I'm planning on running a 40 breeder with my light at some point in the future.

With JUST the one you've got now, or are you planning to get a second?  I don't mind fiddling with it a bit, or having some iffy spots on the sides (can always do something super low light I suppose) so long as I would be able to keep my tank happy.

Thanks again :) 

1 hour ago, Riona said:

\

With JUST the one you've got now, or are you planning to get a second? 

My pic wasn't to recommend 3 - just a visual on how they can be used in series and not have visible issues of heavy light intensity spots.  I've seen 2 on a 75 and 55 gallon and they seem to cover well.

Planning on getting 2nd??    Only if I need one.  My next tank will be 20L or 29 and I'll be using my 1 light.  May try 1 light on a 40 ( b/c I'm a budget reefer ), but I suspect I'd have a bit of shadows on edges of tank where light is blocked by rocks and would likely have a more intensity middle of tank. Maybe that's ok though depending on the rockscape  and coral choices.  I will cross that bridge when I get there.

If you read the 40B reviews / Q&A section on Amazon, a few people have used only 1 Vipar 165w and are recommend it.   

Viparspectra recommends 2x 165w for the 40B or one of their 330w lights, but I have not seen any 40B pictures with 2 x 165w and each fixture covers 24 x 30" " may " be able to stretch that a bit raising light off water higher than usual.  I suspect one would rotate the light fixture 90 degrees for 2 lights on a 40B

My only knock on with the Vipar is you need to hang it off something that you need to plan in your build.  Other than that, I really like em.  Quality built unit, with basic features that work.  Runs cool, grows coral, can get as intense as one needs - and the timer unit has a battery backup so when power goes out - it saves time / settings.  I expect to get a long usable life out of the light.

• Like 2

Thank you!!!  The 30" of coverage would mean I'd only really be missing a few inches on each side, not a huge chunk, which I can work with.  I haven't seen one of the 330w in ages for some reason.  

I avoid Amazon whenever I can, so that'd be why I hadn't seen those reviews.  I can absolutely cobble together something (probably PVC, looks like garbage, but is cheap enough and easy to work with.) to sit on the tank.  It's got a pretty thick frame so it should be easy enough to do.  

Thank you again!

24 minutes ago, Riona said:

(probably PVC, looks like garbage, but is cheap enough and easy to work with.) to sit on the tank.  It's got a pretty thick frame so it should be easy enough to do.  

Thank you again!

I've got 1" PVC around base of my tank framed up to hold light.  It works. When I go to longer tank, I'll put a broom handle inside top PVC to keep flex from becoming an issue.  With 10 gal non issue.  Longer lengths on 20L / 29 seems like it will be an issue.

I've seen the light at LFS hanging Vipar off a steel tubing as a pendant similar to pic below.  But looping the 2 caribiner hooks together at fixed point on Hanging tube vs looping like the pic. 

s-l640.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Budget Reefers got to be creative !

Could also try the Nicrew hyperreef 50w, they're a bit young for people to make claims about longevity but they seem to be fairly-well put together and working for a smattering of folks. No real controllability without a kessil spectra X though.

• Like 2

That one definitely says it covers 24".  Since it also says it will grow SPS 24" under the lights, does that mean I could just raise it a bit and still keep the little bit of SPS I'd like in the center/top-ish of the tank?

10 minutes ago, Riona said:

That one definitely says it covers 24".  Since it also says it will grow SPS 24" under the lights, does that mean I could just raise it a bit and still keep the little bit of SPS I'd like in the center/top-ish of the tank?

The only thing I have to say about the 50W is that they're spotlights.
Raising them up is fine because they have solid PAR penetration and (**most**) SPS don't need as much light to grow as previously thought (my .02).
You *may* have difficulty with even spread and coverage, however doing a scape with two islands would let you largely grow whatever you like with only two 50W.

An interesting alternative would be 3x 30W, these have different lenses and could be turned up a bit more than the 50W to give decent spread and PAR.

It really depends on what you want to grow and where. For what it's worth, I like the spectrum and have measured impressive PAR from them at lower settings (and max mount height) than you'd expect.

That said, black boxes have a great track record and plenty of folks SWEAR by Viparspectra and Ocean Revive 247's.

• Like 1

I'd prefer to get one light if possible.  Easier to deal with that way, so maybe the viparspectra still.  I can find them on ebay easily enough it seems, though I might need to do something weird to get it shipped to where I work instead of my house.  Hm.  

Thank you for the suggestion, though!

• Like 1