Top Shelf Aquatics

Aquatic Hawaiian Wildlife

Cepheris

Was visiting family in Hawaii recently and found some little friends on a trip to the beach.  Was wondering if anyone here could ID them

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 4

We found them at the Kaʻena Point albatross sanctuary tidepools on O'ahu.  The first critter was found in a freshwater puddle from the recent rain on the hike up, the next three were in the tide pools, and the little yellow crab was found on a beach on the hike back

Lauraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

The second pic is most likely some form of Rock Crab, though that doesn't narrow it down much cause there's a ton of different varieties of those in HI.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
jcrisman2009
On 3/9/2022 at 8:41 AM, Cepheris said:

Was visiting family in Hawaii recently and found some little friends on a trip to the beach.  Was wondering if anyone here could ID them

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

First pic is definitely a triops! They are ancient critters!

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, jcrisman2009 said:

First pic is definitely a triops! They are ancient critters!

My guess was horse shoe crab, but after doing a quick google search, I think you're right.

• Agree 1
jcrisman2009
4 hours ago, Jakesaw said:

My guess was horse shoe crab, but after doing a quick google search, I think you're right.

I remember when I was a rugrat I had a kit where you can have them as “pets”. But the one in the picture looks huge compared to the ones I remember having.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...