inTank Media Baskets

Vibrant - anybody uses this stuff - Bubble Algae kicking my butt

Jakesaw

I've been battling bubble algae for a few months now.  It started on one frag that I noticed and I've removed several frags from tank, cleaned, and recently used a Hydrogen Peroxide bath to kill the remaining spores after cleaning 

I've recently found it on my main tank rock in 5 + spots and it's getting the bet of me.  Considered doing a FOWLR, but really enjoy the reef tank.  I've even got a new bubble on my circulation pump after cleaning the outer cage thing 2 days ago. 

I've been considering setting up a Frag tank to save my current frags for observation and starting over with new with dry rock / sand.  Considered going back to FW for less stress and demands of reef tank.  My 2 x Hammer corals make me want to ride out the hobby, but I need to overcome this Bubble Algae issue or I'm gonna eventually tap out. 

As a last ditch effort, I'm considering some Vibrant.  I'm a bit hesitant though b/c it seems to have mixed reviews - but seems to be the only additive that has a real possibility of once and for all wiping out my Bubble Algae issue. 

Any suggestions or experiences on the Vibrant path.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but i'm pretty sure someone on reef2reef tested Vibrant to show it's just an algaecide with fancy marketing.

I used flucanozole in the past for both bryopsis and bubble algae and it worked great with no ill effects, albeit a little slow (3-4 weeks)

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, Jaren45 said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but i'm pretty sure someone on reef2reef tested Vibrant to show it's just an algaecide with fancy marketing.

That's my understaning.  I've read that it can take 8-10 weeks for full Bubble Algae removal.  

I'm running out of options with manual removal. It's not effective in my tank.  I'd prefer not to nuke my  1 + year seasoned live rock with nice coraline algae growth, but not sure what other options I have. 

I'll do a little research on flucanozole to see what I can learn.  Never heard of the product.

Thanks.