Innovative Marine Aquariums

carnationcrab's 1g pico deskquarium

carnationcrab

carnationcrab

Hello Everyone! Crabby here, new to pico but not new to reef keeping. I'm starting a new tank build and am thus making a thread to talk about it. I'm 99% certain I had an account here in the past, but I've since lost it.

Why the new tank?

It's been a few years since I've had a tank going. I've had a 60g cube, a biocube 32, a biocube 16, and a biocube 8 in the past (in reverse order). Reefkeeping definitely kept me sane through the stress of college. After college, though, I've just been finding myself busier and busier. I sold off all the corals about two years ago and just had my clownfish pair. Sadly, they died during transit to our new house. I found myself tankless for the last year, but I'd been so busy it didn't really bother me too much. These days, though, I'm working a remote desk job and life has calmed down enough where I am feeling that need for a project/tank again.

Okay, but why only a gallon??

Firstly, it's a lot easier convincing your spouse that a little tank on your office desk would be a great addition to the home than a very large tank. We have a big move back to the UK planned in 5 years, so any big projects just aren't worth starting at this point. Also, I impulse-purchased this little 1g cube at the pet store, so I have it in my possession. I am trying to keep this build as minimal-spend as possible, which means digging through the random assortment of equipment I own already.

Stock Plans

I really like sexy shrimp. At this point that's the only planned inhabitant. My heart wants a mini-maxi in there too but I don't think it'll work.

Equipment Plans

Tank: Aqueon Frameless Tank Cube Size 1. Isn't it cute?

apis9ufcf__43054.1594041230.jpg.d1a497d3a380f2301fe32a35929d5fc4.jpg

Lighting: Unsure. I have two options; Kessil A160WE Tuna Blue (Which may be way too OP) or a random LED I found in my closet, unknown PAR. I'd like to make the Kessil work.

Filtration: I'm torn between putting in a divider and making it an AIO Tank. Or drilling it and sumping it (is this even drillable?) Or just not filtering it at all and having good flow and rock. Would love to hear thoughts on that.

I'll keep you all updated as I make more decisions!

• Like 5

Welcome back! 

Re: Filtration

Drilling it will make me sweat 😁 Although I'm sure it's doable with the right tool! 
 As for the AIO vs nothing, I guess it's kinda up to you and how minimal/functional you want it to be. 
 I've chosen to go AIO for my 2.5G but I wonder if I would have done that for a single gallon, might not be worth losing all that space (IMO).
 From what I've read and done, as long as the WC is done now and then every week, there's little chance you would miss out on an AIO.

Looking forward to seeing how it goes!

• Like 1
carnationcrab

Thanks  for the welcome! 

1 hour ago, Squid_reef said:

As for the AIO vs nothing, I guess it's kinda up to you and how minimal/functional you want it to be. 
 I've chosen to go AIO for my 2.5G but I wonder if I would have done that for a single gallon, might not be worth losing all that space (IMO).
 From what I've read and done, as long as the WC is done now and then every week, there's little chance you would miss out on an AIO.

That is close to my thinking. If the only real filtration I am going to get from an AIO of this size is biological, I may want to opt for just building in more rock into the tank. Either way, I ordered some acrylic so I can experiment. I do plan on doing most of my cleaning via water change. Haven't decided on bare bottom vs sand yet, but I think I'm leaning bare for cleanability.

carnationcrab

Has anyone here ever thought about using ceramic media as “substrate?” I figure I can turkey baster around them to clean them. I am not planning a filter, so I was thinking it’d provide lots more space for biological filtration. I do worry it would cause similar issues to bioballs, though. If this is a stupid experiment, please let me know. I’m torn because it’s ugly, but maybe with a few more it would look sensible, and with coral grown in it may look different.

Here is a photo of the tank with the bit of ceramic media I found in my stash, and some rock! Not sure on the scape yet at all.

I filled the tank to test flow. I have two mini-pumps (one 80gph and one 40gph) running that I found laying around my house. I like this flow. I may move the power heads around but it seems like a good level.

I managed to rig the light into a mic stand I had lying around (perks of having worked in the tv/film industry). It looks ridiculous, but it’s free— keeping with the theme of this tank.

66DA2CF5-E3C8-4ED2-8D72-30EA9697C7BF.jpeg

10 hours ago, carnationcrab said:

I’m torn because it’s ugly,

I don't think I would like this look long term. That's just me. It is your tank so if you like it that is what really matters.

• Agree 1
M. Tournesol
On 3/2/2022 at 8:31 PM, carnationcrab said:

Filtration: I'm torn between putting in a divider and making it an AIO Tank. Or drilling it and sumping it (is this even drillable?) Or just not filtering it at all and having good flow and rock. Would love to hear thoughts on that.

In my 9to5 tank, I decided to go for a tank without any external filtration. I just put a fair amount of rock and sand in it. So far, I don't have any nutrient problems.

You could also go for a hang-on filter or a canister filter (with some glass lily pipe). I have a canister on my other nano. Mine is filled with some loose rock. This makes it a cryptic zone. 

IMG_4551.thumb.jpg.5d30bac3d284415ff90a12bd7378ff33.jpgIMG_4550.thumb.jpg.688db2fcb10975bc31b756468595f67c.jpg

• Like 2
carnationcrab
1 hour ago, debbeach13 said:

I don't think I would like this look long term. That's just me. It is your tank so if you like it that is what really matters.

I don’t like it either. Took it out this AM after thinking it over last night.

• Like 1
growsomething

I like the plan.  Ever since I saw a single anemone shrimp in a small  anemone of some sort, isolated on a grass flat in the Philippines it's captured my interest.

Would think filtration would be unnecessary for the stocking plan?  It'd be great to see it succeed without.  I realized my nuvo 10 aio sump is doing nothing but hiding my pump, since I have only rock back there, and I now don't think that extra rock is necessary for the No3 cycle and is just a detritus trap.

@WV Reefer has several larger tanks w no filtration that will affirm your choice.

• Like 2
carnationcrab
4 hours ago, growsomething said:

I like the plan.  Ever since I saw a single anemone shrimp in a small  anemone of some sort, isolated on a grass flat in the Philippines it's captured my interest.

that’s an amazing visual! And would make a sick tank. You should do it!

4 hours ago, growsomething said:

Would think filtration would be unnecessary for the stocking plan?  It'd be great to see it succeed without.  I realized my nuvo 10 aio sump is doing nothing but hiding my pump, since I have only rock back there, and I now don't think that extra rock is necessary for the No3 cycle and is just a detritus trap.

@WV Reefer has several larger tanks w no filtration that will affirm your choice.

I definitely think I’m going to stick with no filtration. It’s an interesting challenge. I think I’ll add sand though. I think that the sand is an important part of the ecosystem I’m missing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1