Coral Vue Hydros

Reefing in Kenai, Alaska

KenaiReef

I've been keeping up with my 300 gallon reef for a while now. Looking for the next challenge.

My wife and I are both really into the hobby but have differing ideas about aquascapes and stocking. We're going to try pico and nano tanks at home. My idea is to tie up to 5 nano and pico tanks into a 20g sump. One of the tanks being a display refugium. I'm going to have an inlet and outlet manifold to control each tank individually. The fuge tank will be on its own pump and return line. It'll draw water from the skimmer compartment and return it to the sump return pump section. I'll also try to squeeze in a 5g ATO reservoir. I'm hoping to run it all on an Apex controller. That's what I've got on my 300g tank and it makes life very easy. Can't wait to get started. 

received_220397616396497.jpeg

received_499701457718813.jpeg

20210124_215617.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 4
NoOneLikesADryTang

Sounds like quite the project you’ve got in the works. 

Welcome to NanoReef! I grew up in Eagle River. Is the Dairy Queen still open? I remember making the (three hours each way) drive there a couple times, just to get a blizzard. Lol 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
6 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Sounds like quite the project you’ve got in the works. 

Welcome to NanoReef! I grew up in Eagle River. Is the Dairy Queen still open? I remember making the (three hours each way) drive there a couple times, just to get a blizzard. Lol 

DQ is still there (in Soldotna, anyway)! There's a Sonic in Wasilla though and I'd trade DQ for a Sonic any day of the week. 

NoOneLikesADryTang
1 minute ago, KenaiReef said:

DQ is still there (in Soldotna, anyway)! There's a Sonic in Wasilla though and I'd trade DQ for a Sonic any day of the week. 

Wow. I had no idea. It’s been 6 years since I’ve made it back up there. It seemed like every time I went back, so much had changed. I have a brother still in Anchorage. Is there much of a reefing community in AK?

• Like 2
5 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

I have a brother still in Anchorage. Is there much of a reefing community in AK?

In our community, on the peninsula, there's a couple handful of people that I know about. Probably others I don't know about. My tank is in the PC Mall in Soldotna. It gets a lot of attention and so I meet people that way. Lots of people who don't get any support from others because they don't know each other exists. I try to bring everyone together. 

• Like 9

Here's a few notes we've received in our comment box. We also encourage people to ask and we post the answers on the cabinet. Soon, we're going to start posting Q&A's on the Facebook page. "Peninsula Reef Aquarium" on FB. 

received_3130119513931036.jpeg

received_285406439989104.jpeg

received_922769321700110.jpeg

received_292260952753508.jpeg

received_216034877271069.jpeg

received_490632555767879.jpeg

received_494876578583141.jpeg

Screenshot_20220222-194310_Messenger.jpg

Screenshot_20220222-194314_Messenger.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 1