ReefCleaners.org

Dusky Jawfish. Not reef safe.

Clownfish king

Clownfish king

Little SOB bit through my gorgonians tissue knocked it over and went on a rampage killing ,knocking over and annoying corals.

really pissed off right now.

don’t buy these little idiots.

Clownfish king

Ok I’ve assessed the situation more. The Jawfish knocked the gorgo into the heater. The gorgo was on a massive rock so no frucking idea on how he did this.

Just now, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Did you put any shells or things for him to

help build his den with? I’m guessing he was trying to build his den, not destroy corals. 

Yes he had many shells, rocks and other things.

I understand that losing coral this way is frustrating, but a fish knocking over corals or moving things about doesn't make them "not reef safe" - this is to be expected. Hopefully it wasn't too expensive.

Even the most ubiquitous of all reef fish (and the one you chose for your name) does exactly the same thing once they establish a territory if you disturb it. Pretty much every fish that manages their own environment is capable of doing this. Fish can rearrange improbably large rocks, flip corals, and throw sand into massive piles (or into pumps or over corals) - you need to know what any fish you purchase is capable of doing and need to prepare your tank for that. That means securing your coral and scape by either gluing it all down or moving it to a frag rack and using rubber bands so the the plugs can't be pulled off the rack. Even big turbo snails can dislodge and knock over rocks that weight a few pounds.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
20 hours ago, Clownfish king said:

Yeah I’m sorry. I got pissed off and for some reason I decided to do this.I was able to save the gorgo by fragging it.

Give him lots and lots of rubble! Then more rubble!

Jawfish love to build then tear it apart and rebuild. The dusky gets pretty good size I think so that’s probably why he can upheaval boulders.  

Remember the building is part of the jawfish charm! And yes they will steal any small frag not anchored down. 

• Like 2
Clownfish king
On 2/22/2022 at 8:53 AM, Tamberav said:

Give him lots and lots of rubble! Then more rubble!

Jawfish love to build then tear it apart and rebuild. The dusky gets pretty good size I think so that’s probably why he can upheaval boulders.  

Remember the building is part of the jawfish charm! And yes they will steal any small frag not anchored down. 

Yeah. He’s rebuilt himself a little new burrow. I’ll be getting him new rubble next time I go down to my LFS. More shells and stuff

• Like 2