SaltCritters.com

Sediment filter in saltwater mixing station?

RaymondNoodles

RaymondNoodles

I like the idea of a sediment filter within the saltwater mixing station but worry it's pulling out too much and clogging too quickly if the saltwater is running through the filter the whole time it's mixing. My thought was to add a bypass and install the sediment filter with valves in order to mix the saltwater adequately, then open the bypass valve allowing it to flow through the sediment filter after the majority of the mix has been dissolved. It should help remove some of the funk that ends up in the mixing containers.

E1129E93-37B3-4A49-9EC0-DC19CAFD4038.jpeg

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

Interesting idea @RaymondNoodles. I haven't heard of anyone filtering in this way after mixing saltwater, but it might be a nice finishing touch to polish your water. I guess the question is, what kind of sediment filter are you thinking? A canister stuffed with poly filter floss, or something else like carbon? Poly filter seems like the easiest path, and easy to clean too.

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks changed the title to Sediment filter in saltwater mixing station?
RaymondNoodles
19 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Interesting idea @RaymondNoodles. I haven't heard of anyone filtering in this way after mixing saltwater, but it might be a nice finishing touch to polish your water. I guess the question is, what kind of sediment filter are you thinking? A canister stuffed with poly filter floss, or something else like carbon? Poly filter seems like the easiest path, and easy to clean too.

BRS recommends a 5 micron sediment depth filter. $8 from BRS but they've been sold out for at least a week.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ge-rosave-z-depth-sediment-filter.html

Other brands are available on Amazon for ~$3-4/ea.

https://www.amazon.com/Aquaboon-Replacement-Cartridge-Filtration-Compatible/dp/B01M01EDHK/ref=sr_1_9?crid=36TV04S5XQT6N&keywords=10"+sediment+depth+filter&qid=1645648295&sprefix=10+sediment+depth+filte%2Caps%2C76&sr=8-9

I wasn't sure what a "depth" filter is, also referred to as "gradient density." Key concept:

Sediment depth filters are generally spun polypropylene sediment depth filters, which in reality, are gradient density filters in that the outer layers trap larger particles so that the inside layers are more efficient.

7 minutes ago, JonBonPony said:

If I remember correctly, BRS experimented with this and found it works pretty well.

You are correct. So much for passing the idea off as my own 😆 The question is, at what stage of this mixing process should we be filtering? And for how long? Many are filtering while filling the DT only, to allow the salt to dissolve first. But what if your mixing station is in the basement, and you are trying to pump water up an entire floor? The filter is surely adding head pressure on the pump. I didn't want this to be a factor in my situation, since I already have about 15ft of head to deal with. That's when I came up with the idea add the valves.

Here's a screenshot of the results from the BRS video...

image.thumb.png.382ba64b01c3e0f0d35c4119c09c1c87.png

35 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

Fun idea. Now, I am asking myself if a cyclone dust collector design that separates dust from the air would work for separating saltwater from sediment 🤔

Interesting concept. You may be on to something. Remember making these?
image.png.b51a151ad9ef1c84bd06e5b385921c56.png

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
15 minutes ago, RaymondNoodles said:

Does it contain Brass? Most sediment filters do since they are not made for saltwater conditions.

• Thanks 1
RaymondNoodles
6 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

Does it contain Brass? Most sediment filters do since they are not made for saltwater conditions.

Good catch! Thank you! That one does have brass fittings. I found Culligan makes one with plastic threads…

Culligan WH-S200-C

I’ll reach out to Culligan to see if it’s reef safe 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I see you're already a fair way down this rabbit hole, so feel free to disregard this post if you want.  But.....

Why are you worrying about filtering your fresh-made saltwater?  It is not necessary for any reason or after that past 40-50 years of experience, we'd all be doing it.  🙂 

(Also, wihtout pointing any fingers or naming names – we don't have filters to sell you...😬)

The sediment you're seeing in those slick presentations (marketing specifically to newbs.....caveat emptor) isn't even worth thinking about unless you have something to sell.  (Sorry to say that, but this is pretty heavy/"creative" selling if you ask me.)

There are legitimate reefing articles that talk about this sediment (it's harmless) and the mixing of saltwater – if you're really interested in going down a rabbit hole, that's the way to go.

Here's a Grade-A starting point:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-07/rhf/index.htm

This picture you've seen used to promote hogwash was actually in that article and subtitled this way:

Figure 1. The residue on the bottom of the plastic trash can that I use to mix Instant Ocean. I rarely clean it out. The solid is most likely calcium carbonate.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-07/rhf/images/Figure_1.jpg 

Nothing to fear....but also totally avoidable if you mix water the way I do...which is simple, but not all that normal. I had lots of chances to test different methods when I was doing water changes every day.

These are the best two ways (both similar....one needs no electricity tho, so it's simpler).  Here are vid's showing it.....5 min each.  No residue ever.  (I do it this way because it's also the fastest way....the sediment thing is only a side-effect.)

• Thanks 1

BTW,  I've upgraded my whole system since then, so I'm now mixing 50 gallons at a time instead of 5.....but I still use that same mixing paddle and NO PUMP.  Does take a little more than 5 minutes now that it's 10x more water. 😉 (Still haven't noticed any sediment in the new system.)

• Thanks 1

Sorry.....another thought I missed.

Heating and constantly circulating the water are the two biggest mistakes that most folks make when mixing saltwater, BTW...and most mixing guides suggest doing both!!!  💩. Unfortunately for all those guides (and the newbs following them) is that both can cause precipitation due to localized heating, in addition to other issues.  

Once the saltwater is done mixing and looks clear, you're done messing with it until you use it. Leave it alone (no water motion; no heat) and covered up to keep out dust in the mean time.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
RaymondNoodles

The saltwater mixing station is almost complete. Here’s a video of me rambling about it after a couple beers and a long day at work. I mean a long day sitting in my home office looking at my reef tank 😆

• Haha 1