Cultivated Reef

What “pest” coral is actually one of your favourites?

Clownfish king

Clownfish king

I was really interested in this as I have five different pest corals (waving hand anthelia,green star polyps, kenya tree, orange discosoma and yellow polyps) and I honestly really like all of them.

B5DE90DB-1CE7-4A7A-A6F7-C7A7CD2781A0.jpeg

62FF463B-F438-443E-A156-AA42DCAE5513.jpeg

• Like 2
growsomething

It would be waving hand xenia in its own 5 or 10g rimless.  Can't stand it in my mixed 10 g.  Will grow to the top and out across half the surface, shading everything to death.

Good topic!

• Like 1

fish4.thumb.JPG.58c5523609b07b87e68306553afbca2c.JPG

I love GSP and anthelia.  This tank has been growing about 3 years.  It started with about a one inch frag of each, it covered the entire tank until today.  I ripped up and sold 6 inch frags for $5 to local reefers.  I am selling all of the rocks tomorrow that has it on them.  I am keeping the GSP on the overflow and a small frag of anthelia and will contain it to a small section on the left.  I will always keep some of it, but it is time to grow something else.

• Like 5
Clownfish king
15 hours ago, kimdawg said:

fish4.thumb.JPG.58c5523609b07b87e68306553afbca2c.JPG

I love GSP and anthelia.  This tank has been growing about 3 years.  It started with about a one inch frag of each, it covered the entire tank until today.  I ripped up and sold 6 inch frags for $5 to local reefers.  I am selling all of the rocks tomorrow that has it on them.  I am keeping the GSP on the overflow and a small frag of anthelia and will contain it to a small section on the left.  I will always keep some of it, but it is time to grow something else.

Oh cool! I can’t wait till my corals grow out like that. I have a feeling my tank will become a battle ground for Xenia,disco mushrooms, GSP, Kenya’s and yellow polyps alike

Clownfish king
16 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Majanos can be beautiful, but most think of them as a pest. 

That’s an interesting answer. I had a bright green majano that I threw outside in the rain when i found out it was invasive 

5 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

Poccilopora damicornis.

I dream of having large colonies with their trapezia crabs symbionts 🥰. This is the main drive behind my first reef, starting to grow pocilloporidae frag for a future 30 or 50 gallon cube.

Oh wow… they’re beautiful and stunning. Why are they considered pests?

3 minutes ago, Clownfish king said:

That’s an interesting answer. I had a bright green majano that I threw outside in the rain when i found out it was invasive 

Oh wow… they’re beautiful and stunning. Why are they considered pests?

Yes, the Xenia of sps.

Polyp bail-outs of Pocillopora damicornis are cute at first, but a particularly prolific colony can start to send P. damicornis growing all over the aquarium, making more than enough daughter colonies so that some of them may land close to, and sting, your prized frag of course. (reefbuilders ref link)