Innovative Marine Aquariums

5 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

If shady is hungry tomorrow, you will be down to two. Did any co-workers see shady eat the molly? 

Yeah my office director, his response "wish my wife had a mouth like that" 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 5
3 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

Do you plan to make a ledge or an ark? I have read that lionfishes love to be upside down.

Yeah currently his favourite place is under the weir box. I'm having real issues finding suitable rock at the moment, LFS is charging £20per kg. Got my eye on a couple tank shut downs and also considering seeing if I can find some aquaroche that would fit the tank

• Like 2
M. Tournesol
16 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

£20per kg

🤯. In france, I can find coral rock from sedimentary origin (ie, mined from land career) for 1.55€/kg (£1.30) or Natural dead reef stone (don't know the origin 🤷‍♂️) for 5.9€/kg (£4,95).

• Like 1

Well todays Molly count is still 3, also a lot less noticeable algae around the tank. Swim Shady is still looking rather fat from yesterday, but i still received his little feed me wiggle. Might see if he takes any Krill later on today 

• Like 5

Got a surprise gift from a fellow reefer that I gave some Xenia too a while ago, a number of baby Blue Discosoma Mushrooms. I can count approximately 10 but think that there are more babies in amongst the rock and crevices. Currently suspended in an isolation box as the light on this tank is not suitable for corals (ASTA 20 LED). I might see how a few of them do on the bottom of the tank and go from there. Some will come home with me to go into the Mantis Murder Manor 

20220315_111758.thumb.jpg.4743d00e9afadd92905b05dc06a1be56.jpg

20220315_111739.thumb.jpg.6745372c76dd8b4a3bcadefdb702ab58.jpg

• Like 7
  • Wow 1
On 3/10/2022 at 7:50 PM, DevilDuck said:

Incredible that little fish can eat something almost the same size as itself!

Well its 5 days later and he is only just now starting to show signs of being interested in eating again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
44 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

In one of the pico contest that was one of the most popular lights. If I remember correctly mushrooms did great with it.

Yes that is the contest that I purchased this little light. I love it and had some decent growths on easy SPS in the Pico and 5 Gallon Cube. The RSM130D i am shocked about the colour due to the amount of water that it needs to penetrate. 

That reminds me i need to swap frags between the tanks soon.

• Like 2

Well an interesting development on this one, so typically i feed Swim Shady 3 times a week. Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, he is fed approximately half a cube of Krill Pacifica and about a 3rd of a Lancefish (silverside). If he gets hungry over the weekend he can om nom nom on a Molly. However the Mollies I feed a mix of both Vege/Algae flake and a mix pellet (carnivore) for a bit of variety. 

Swim Shady has now taken to eating the Carnivore pellets as well as Frozen (and the odd live Molly), he also takes in the flake but spits it out almost immediately. 

Also I spotted a few different Zoa's/Palys that came in on the mushroom rocks so thats nice 

• Like 3
Snow_Phoenix
33 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Well an interesting development on this one, so typically i feed Swim Shady 3 times a week. Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, he is fed approximately half a cube of Krill Pacifica and about a 3rd of a Lancefish (silverside). If he gets hungry over the weekend he can om nom nom on a Molly. However the Mollies I feed a mix of both Vege/Algae flake and a mix pellet (carnivore) for a bit of variety. 

Swim Shady has now taken to eating the Carnivore pellets as well as Frozen (and the odd live Molly), he also takes in the flake but spits it out almost immediately. 

Also I spotted a few different Zoa's/Palys that came in on the mushroom rocks so thats nice 

Pics, pics, pics!!! 👀

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Pics, pics, pics!!! 👀

I will do another feeding video tomorrow, its a lot more interesting when he is chasing the Krill. Or i could film me trying to move rocks while he tried to perch on my hand. 🙄

However a pic of the tiny Polyp that i spotted today

20220317_081901.thumb.jpg.f9a3da62b1d98e6c0a645139f6005b26.jpg

One of my "Black Algae Hermits"

20220316_085448.thumb.jpg.39615da6a259003e9b01dc342ccb8856.jpg

And lastly, I have been wondering how an Ambush Predator that is bright red managed to be successful in hunting and ambushing. Until obviously I realised that Red is one of the first colour spectrums that fails to penetrate water and therefore shouldnt be seen by much marine life. Oh and one of the Mollies photobombing, a MollyBomb!! Nah thats a a weekend treat 

20220316_141439.thumb.jpg.3832d251dbc16594efe0e033239e52c6.jpg 

• Like 4
Snow_Phoenix
2 hours ago, Ratvan said:

I will do another feeding video tomorrow, its a lot more interesting when he is chasing the Krill. Or i could film me trying to move rocks while he tried to perch on my hand. 🙄

However a pic of the tiny Polyp that i spotted today

20220317_081901.thumb.jpg.f9a3da62b1d98e6c0a645139f6005b26.jpg

One of my "Black Algae Hermits"

20220316_085448.thumb.jpg.39615da6a259003e9b01dc342ccb8856.jpg

And lastly, I have been wondering how an Ambush Predator that is bright red managed to be successful in hunting and ambushing. Until obviously I realised that Red is one of the first colour spectrums that fails to penetrate water and therefore shouldnt be seen by much marine life. Oh and one of the Mollies photobombing, a MollyBomb!! Nah thats a a weekend treat 

20220316_141439.thumb.jpg.3832d251dbc16594efe0e033239e52c6.jpg 

Oh, I like how Swim Shady is looking straight at the camera/you. He's actually very much aware that you're out there. Such a smart fish! :wub:

That polyp is a tiny nem, is it? Looks cute! :happy:

And I have a rather derpy hermit too. I haven't seen the variant that you have in your tank available here though! The hermits we usually get are the brown legged, halloween or electric blue knuckled kind. Occasionally you do get one which is oddly colored (like the one in my nano), but those are mostly mislabeled ones that come in during a shipment. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Oh, I like how Swim Shady is looking straight at the camera/you. He's actually very much aware that you're out there. Such a smart fish! :wub:

That polyp is a tiny nem, is it? Looks cute! :happy:

And I have a rather derpy hermit too. I haven't seen the variant that you have in your tank available here though! The hermits we usually get are the brown legged, halloween or electric blue knuckled kind. Occasionally you do get one which is oddly colored (like the one in my nano), but those are mostly mislabeled ones that come in during a shipment. 

Oh he recognises me 100%, or the feeding baster at least 😂. Also the fish all know what it means when i turn off the pumps too.

I thought the Polyp was a Zoa due to the fact the reefer i got these from has a 100% softie tank. Might be one of those Zoas with a more pronounced skirt 🤷‍♂️, will watch and wait and see what it comes out as. I noticed a few others dotted about too but they still have not opened. 

I'm not 100% sure what variant of hermit I have or where it was from but these do not seem to be quiet as much of a nuisance as the Hermits I have had in the past (Red Legged and Blue Knuckles), I am trying desperately not to order a couple more fish for the tank until I have all the equipment set up. Looking at ordering lighting, protein skimmer and an ATO on the 25th 

• Like 3
M. Tournesol
39 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

I'm not 100% sure what variant of hermit I have or where it was from but these do not seem to be quiet as much of a nuisance as the Hermits I have had in the past (Red Legged and Blue Knuckles)

Your hermit looks a lot like my dwarf blue leg hermit crabs (Clibanarius tricolor).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

Your hermit looks a lot like my dwarf blue leg hermit crabs (Clibanarius tricolor).

I refer to them now as "Mantis Snacks", also noticed that i might have a couple of different varieties in the tank. Some have all brown legs and one is all black with white claws. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Ratvan changed the title to Re-Re Starting the RSM130D & Things that Sting Reef