Top Shelf Aquatics

I think that if you utilize both, skimmer and macro algae you should be on track to success.. With how much waste lionfish produce, bottoming down on nutrients should not be a problem IMO. Mangroves would look awesome, maybe you could get their roots to trickle down the rock work? I am not sure how invasive the roots may become though. Here in Ireland its super difficult to get any nicer macro algae as well, but I have talked with people at LFS and they said that they could order most things in if i wanted but they usually dont stock anything else than caulerpa or cheato, so you could ask around.

• Like 2

Domino Damselfish do actually host nems oddly enough.

Can't comment much on the lionfish but Deb seems to be on the right of things.

Skimmers pull organics out before they become ammonia/N02/N04/P04, macros consume some NH4, but mostly go after iron, magnesium, N03, and P04.

Well got a call from the LFS today, seems that they have a delivery coming in tomorrow and want to make a bit of space in the Tanks. As a result i shall be picking up and acclimatising Swim Shady this lunch time for a slightly reduced price. 

• Like 6
  • Wow 1
  • Ratvan changed the title to Things that Stings - RSM130D Office Reef
1 minute ago, debbeach13 said:

Congratulations! I hope he has a long happy life. I bet your co-workers will be fascinated by him.

We will see tomorrow when everyone is in the office, he has already taken frozen Krill.... so tempting to hand feed... must resist water puppies cuteness

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Wow 1

8 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

must resist water puppies cuteness

Haha, that would be tempting. 
Probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to know the relevant first aid just in case though.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Firefish15 said:

Haha, that would be tempting. 
Probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to know the relevant first aid just in case though.

Submerge stung area in 45C water, seek medical attention, hope i am not allergic. 

• Haha 5
  • Agree 1
M. Tournesol
5 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Submerge stung area in 45C water, seek medical attention, hope i am not allergic. 

You could feed it with tweezers or chopsticks. Less "personal" but also less "reckless" 😉.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
Snow_Phoenix
1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

So Swim Shady is now in the tank, I am farily certain that this is a Male Dwarf Fuzzy Lion (due to width of head and Dorsal Bands), acclimatising at the moment. So pretty 

20220302_122437.jpg

20220302_123858.jpg

I'm so jealous! 🤐

He looks cute though! 😊

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

So Swim Shady has survived his first night, was great to see him flitting around the top of the tank this morning.

20220302_124201.thumb.jpg.def2d817799dffa86533b7b514f0d3b7.jpg

Have been thinking about potential tank mates and currently leaning towards a Valentini Puffer and a Longnose Hawkfish. 

In the next couple of weeks I should be collecting some more rock to go into the RSM, this will be coming from an established tank shut down sale. Hopefully I can get some nice flat pieces so that I can make more caves and structures for perching as well as more shaded area's which will be needed until i can get a hold of the lights that I plan to upgrade the tank too. as i feel that the current Par38 bulb is maybe a little too bright and could do with more subdued lighting on this tank 

• Like 6

So today I replaced the PAR38 bulb with the Asta 20 LED Marine since essentially this is going to be mostly FOWLR until a time when I feel the anemone's would be able to survive in this tank (essentially I will wait for the tank to mature before I add the anemones), it looks ridiculous but the subdued lighting has made Swim Shady come out a bit more. 

20220304_111300.thumb.jpg.7c956c1ac65200ff18a278e90113e038.jpg

• Like 4

Swim Shady is going great and is a hit in the office, there is now a feeding schedule set up so everyone who wants to feed him can. Currently I feed on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Each day he gets a full defrosted Lancefish (Silverside/Smelt) as well as about a third of a cube of Frozen Krill. I did spot a frozen fish pie mix that contains Mussels, Squid and Prawns which is £1.99 for a 500G bag so I do want to attempt to feed him some of this mix going forwards. 

Additionally I might be popping into the LFS this lunch time, looking for a pair of Mollies or Maybe a number of Endlers to act as a dither fish and to see if this brings Shady out a little more. Also have placed an advanced order for a Saddleback Valentini Puffer and have requested that the fish is at least 3", they have also informed me that they have a pair of Matted Filefish in stock which would look great in the tank i think. Will see how much my wallet screams in pain when i get there later 

• Like 5

So managed to pick up 3 Nassarius Snails, have wanted these guys for a while now as with the Hermit Crabs they can clear up the remnants of Swim Shady's meals as he seems to not enjoy eating the heads of the lancefish/Silversides/Sprats. I also picked up 4 Mollies that I am acclimating at the moment.

20220310_123736.thumb.jpg.e6e437df5078ccf9e99a0c5409d768c8.jpg

Onto more interesting things. Didnt buy it but my gosh was tempted to source a larger tank

20220310_115705.thumb.jpg.e9c71007f44beefe4f2eaf1046bc57c7.jpg

20220310_115710.jpg

20220310_115712.jpg

• Like 4

Its coming along nicely!

I found that mollies absolutely have to be acclimated for at least 24 hours to survive long term. Also females usually live loner than males in my experience.

if i were you Id put down all the aquarium related costs as "work expenses", not sure how easy going your boss is, but it may fly 🤔

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, rimga123 said:

Its coming along nicely!

I found that mollies absolutely have to be acclimated for at least 24 hours to survive long term. Also females usually live loner than males in my experience.

if i were you Id put down all the aquarium related costs as "work expenses", not sure how easy going your boss is, but it may fly 🤔

I have a different experience with saltwater mollies, temp match and an hour of adding water from display into acclamation tank for about an hour then let them loose.

Well a lot of the expenses are already paid for by work, essentially everything except the livestock. It goes down as team bonding costs, found some Live rock that I want. Will see if £120 will be accepted, hell I'll be happy with 50/50 on that

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Ratvan changed the title to Re-Re Starting the RSM130D & Things that Sting Reef