Cultivated Reef

5.5 Gallon Pico Filtration

drewdarling

I’ve just setup a 5.5G (standard starter kit tank with the top lip removed for a cleaner look) Pico Reef Tank. I’m currently running an Aquaclear 50 HOB filter for the filtration/flow of the tank. I have an extra MP10 laying around and was wondering if I can replace the Aquaclear 50 with the MP10 and rely on the water to flow through my rockscape as my main source of filtration with frequent, high percentage water changes to keep water parameters in check. I like the more randomized flow pattern of the MP10 as well the much cleaner look it would bring to the tank. All thoughts/opinions are welcome and appreciated! 

Yes and no. What will determine the size of your filter isn’t your tank size but your bioload. If you don’t put any fish in the tank then doing a small water change would be sufficient. If not, only a heavy number of rock or big water changes could do it without additional filtration.

My 7 gallon is only filtered by its rocks with the addition of a 15% water change a week. This tank is often overfed but since I have 10~12 pounds of rock and a low/reasonable bioload, it doesn’t have a nutrient problem.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
On 2/14/2022 at 5:41 AM, M. Tournesol said:

Yes and no. What will determine the size of your filter isn’t your tank size but your bioload. If you don’t put any fish in the tank then doing a small water change would be sufficient. If not, only a heavy number of rock or big water changes could do it without additional filtration.

My 7 gallon is only filtered by its rocks with the addition of a 15% water change a week. This tank is often overfed but since I have 10~12 pounds of rock and a low/reasonable bioload, it doesn’t have a nutrient problem.

I haven’t decided on fish yet but i’m leaning towards the no-fish side. If I do have a fish it will be something small like a trima goby that will be fed very conservatively. As far as rock goes there’s a good bit, I reckon 7ish pounds. With that much rock and the bioload of a handful of corals (that will only be fed right before a water change) I should be okay right? Will I have to worry about surface skimming?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, drewdarling said:

Will I have to worry about surface skimming?

🤷‍♂️, Since I feed exclusively frozen food my aquariums have a surface oil film. If your MP10 creates water movement on the surface, an oil film should pose no problem for your inhabitants. Just remove the film every water change. I do it by emptying my aquarium with a plastic cup that I fill slowly with only the surface water.

• Like 3

I had a 5.5 for a long time.  Had a bio wheel (110 I think) for a long time and I had a power head at times or the Eheim surface skimmer, then upgraded to an AC70 with an @inTank media basket.   I typically dialed back the flow as I had all softies.  The eheim is really cool if you haven't seen it before.  

Like said above, you could go either way depending on what you stock with.  

Good luck!  

• Like 3
On 2/15/2022 at 7:25 AM, M. Tournesol said:

🤷‍♂️, Since I feed exclusively frozen food my aquariums have a surface oil film. If your MP10 creates water movement on the surface, an oil film should pose no problem for your inhabitants. Just remove the film every water change. I do it by emptying my aquarium with a plastic cup that I fill slowly with only the surface water.

I'll add, as your tank matures, the surface skim will go away too.  I feed pretty generously and used to have a skim on surface that needed Powerhead to create room for gas exchange.  You could see the film around the broken water areas. 

Still have powerhead directed at surface, but now a days, I have no film to be seen on water surface.  I dirty feed frozen and dose Phos for corals and do 15 percent WC weekly

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies everyone! I decided to remove the HOB filter and run the MP10 for now (the thank is still cycling so I figured now’s the perfect time to experiment). 

I’ll continue to update this thread as the tank matures in case anyone else has the same question! Here’s what the tank looks like currently! (AI Prime was only turned on for the picture and will remain off until cycle is done). 

254C4FBC-C2FE-4510-AC9C-A21CEA6B09F1.jpeg

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

I always wanted to remove the hang on back filter when I had a 5.5 so as to make tank look cleaner.  Yours looks great!   I kept the hang on back as they do great job of cleaning the tank, allowed me to easily use carbon or other media and a place to hide the heater.  By time I upgraded that tank (after good ten years if not more of use) there were a few hundred tiny feather dusters in the filter though I never had any in the main tank area!  Plenty of folks go powerhead only, so with water changes and good observation it is doable.