ReefCleaners.org

Help Me ID this NPS Coral

NoOneLikesADryTang

NoOneLikesADryTang

I purchased some gulf live rock, and am trying to identify what exactly it is. In the last year and a half, it’s grown from one small head, to two large heads and five or six smaller heads. Is it Phyllangia americana? A Rhizo of some sort? Cladocora? 

AD1D8AA6-48CC-4BC1-BECD-C91895A3E713.thumb.jpeg.490a7f064f42134c9517f38571ad7364.jpeg

F1F29AAB-D31D-47E9-84BA-8D0A8873894C.thumb.jpeg.13f5c0e9be1863da2fdb4b4e9dfa9bc7.jpeg

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

I purchased some gulf live rock, and am trying to identify what exactly it is. In the last year and a half, it’s grown from one small head, to two large heads and five or six smaller heads. Is it Phyllangia americana? A Rhizo of some sort? Cladocora? 

AD1D8AA6-48CC-4BC1-BECD-C91895A3E713.thumb.jpeg.490a7f064f42134c9517f38571ad7364.jpeg

F1F29AAB-D31D-47E9-84BA-8D0A8873894C.thumb.jpeg.13f5c0e9be1863da2fdb4b4e9dfa9bc7.jpeg

Oooh pretty. 

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
22 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Oooh pretty. 

It is! It’s a gorgeous fish eater. I’ve woken up to it eating a clown, and a possum wrasse. All though, it’s very possible they died and it grabbed their corpse, because neither had been in the tank long. I’ve also seen it eating the red grape algae (you can see it above the unknown coral) that I had trimmed and pieces were floating in the tank, that it was able to catch. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Wow 2
NoOneLikesADryTang
16 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

Does this mean a new nano tank to isolate this gorgeous monster 😨 ?

It’s in a 10 gallon. There are couple fish in it, that it hasn’t eaten, so I’m leaning towards they died and he got the corpse. If I catch him eating these fish though, then the tank will run fish less going forward. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

ooooooohhhhh, if it really is a stony NPS, then...

you may have gotten lucky and got yourself the elusive (and technically illegal, that's not your fault tho) Rhizotrochus.  <link>  Our friend @Cannedfish spent countless DMs with me gushing his love (fetish?) about finding himself one to complete his NPS collection.  take real good care of it, as it's pretty rare, feed it more cardinal and clownfish if you must 🤣

edit: oh, looks like you already mentioned it might be rhizo, i'm an idiot, got excited and didn't read your post.  but if it came in on gulf live rock, it's probably not the "same one" I was talking about.  pretty sure that one is native halfway across the world.

Edited by mitten_reef
I'm an idiot
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
NoOneLikesADryTang
6 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

ooooooohhhhh, if it really is a stony NPS, then...

you may have gotten lucky and got yourself the elusive (and technically illegal, that's not your fault tho) Rhizotrochus.  <link>  Our friend @Cannedfish spent countless DMs with me gushing his love (fetish?) about finding himself one to complete his NPS collection.  take real good care of it, as it's pretty rare, feed it more cardinal and clownfish if you must 🤣

edit: oh, looks like you already mentioned it might be rhizo, i'm an idiot, got excited and didn't read your post.  but if it came in on gulf live rock, it's probably not the "same one" I was talking about.  pretty sure that one is native halfway across the world.

Ohh most definitely a fetish for him! 

It definitely isn’t a Japanese rhizo, but I didn’t know if they were found in other parts of the ocean. Whatever it is, it’s pretty, and growing. I also have a similar (may be the same) growing on a different part of the rock that is tough to photograph. Interestingly enough, that one has only one solitary head, and hasn’t grown at all, all though they get similar feedings.

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang

Looked through my pictures, and found these two I had taken to send the tank keeper, because I couldn’t believe it. Rest In Peace little clownfish. The pictures were a couple hours apart. 

5DABC25B-A4CC-4212-B3B6-962B981247B6.thumb.jpeg.75c3f9274a982b382c79689890634565.jpeg

8704A083-7155-487C-822F-5609B72031AC.thumb.jpeg.1aa5ca290bf6b8c3a19035aeada93227.jpeg

• Wow 10
NoOneLikesADryTang
3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I think they are called Hidden Cup Corals

That’s what I originally thought as well, but I saw somewhere during my research on it, that hidden cups only have 6 septa. This has more than 6. 

38 minutes ago, A.m.P said:

Could also be ?

This is a great photo of Cladocora. I was having a hard time finding a picture with polyps extended of it. I really resembles this, in fact I think it may be this. I’ll have to try and compare it when it’s a little more closed up. Thanks!

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
9 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Epic find @A.m.P!

There’s a second photo of them from the same user, posted to the gallery.

It’s interesting that he said that one was Phyllangia Americana (Hidden Cup like @Tamberav suggested), but the other was listed as Cladocora Arbuscula. I think the second one may be mislabeled, because it appears to have way more than six septa (if the earlier research I did on it was correct and Phyllangia Americana only has six septa.)

• Like 2
6 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Looked through my pictures, and found these two I had taken to send the tank keeper, because I couldn’t believe it. Rest In Peace little clownfish. The pictures were a couple hours apart. 

5DABC25B-A4CC-4212-B3B6-962B981247B6.thumb.jpeg.75c3f9274a982b382c79689890634565.jpeg

8704A083-7155-487C-822F-5609B72031AC.thumb.jpeg.1aa5ca290bf6b8c3a19035aeada93227.jpeg

Whoa! Whatever it is, keep it fed and happy because this thing is awesome and you could propagate it and sell it online as Striped Nemo Eaters or something. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
NoOneLikesADryTang
10 minutes ago, Ohmegg said:

Whoa! Whatever it is, keep it fed and happy because this thing is awesome and you could propagate it and sell it online as Striped Nemo Eaters or something. 

It better bring in some good money, since it made a meal of my long fin mocha storm… It couldn’t have eaten a cheap damsel. 

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

It better bring in some good money, since it made a meal of my long fin mocha storm… It couldn’t have eaten a cheap damsel. 

We both know that's not how things work in this hobby! 😆 If you ever get more heads and want to frag it hit me up. It would fit nicely in my fishless reef now that my Duncan ate my Molly. 

• Haha 2
NoOneLikesADryTang
1 minute ago, Ohmegg said:

We both know that's not how things work in this hobby! 😆 If you ever get more heads and want to frag it hit me up. It would fit nicely in my fishless reef now that my Duncan ate my Molly. 

Will do. It’ll probably be a while, since it appears to be a slooooooowwwww grower.