Top Shelf Aquatics

Stand for 36x18x18 tank with a similarly sized sump?

Masamune

I've got an old 40b that's been sitting in storage for a good long while that I was thinking of making into a sump for a fancy-pants rimless low iron tank with similar dimensions but the only thing holding me back is that I have no idea how to build a stand and every 40b stand I've seen so far was built just for the display tank in mind (so no space below for a sump of the same size).

Alternatively... keep the 40b in storage and buy a smaller tank to use as a sump? Not quite sure what a good, robust sump size would be for a 40b so open to suggestions. Haven't been following this hobby for almost 6 or 7 years 😞

Check out Simpson strong ties. They are brackets that will, with very little effort allow you to build a stand using 2x4 or 4x4. A stand made with them is very strong if you use the Simpson screws they recommend. Here are some pics of 2 stands I built using them.

F8017ECC-33CA-4AA1-9264-52D5AA2A129A.png

FF304254-E6BA-44A7-9046-49FE751511C1.jpeg

• Like 2

That looks devilishly simple! Thank you!

Now I just need to remember how I planned to do the overflow/return... I have an ancient glass-holes.com kit but it seems they're gone now. Hopefully I can find the return kit I got from them!

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Masamune said:

That looks devilishly simple! Thank you!

Now I just need to remember how I planned to do the overflow/return... I have an ancient glass-holes.com kit but it seems they're gone now. Hopefully I can find the return kit I got from them!

It really is …Home Depot and Amazon sell the brackets, and Simpson web site will tell you what screws to use. 

• Like 1

A 20 gallon long makes a nice sump for a 40 gallon breeder (and should fit inside a stand made for a 40B).

I remember seeing videos of people using heavy duty shelving racks for two 40 breeders.  Surprisingly, the tanks fit snugly in the racks.

I tend to make my own using Kreg jigs.  You can use either plywood or 2x4s.  It's fairly easy if you are handy.

• Like 3

I'll probably go with a 20L for the sump then.

Current parts list (I already own all this stuff)

SCA 302 Skimmer
Glassholes 700gph overflow kit

Glassholes 3/4" return kit(?) - I may or may not have lost this, honestly...
Eheim Jager Aquarium Thermostat Heater
Rio Plus 2100 Aqua Pump 692 GPH
Reefbreeders Photon 24 (Gen 1)
40b from Petco (Aqeuon)

vortech 10? 20? have to pull it out of the storage unit

Been sitting on most of this stuff since about 2014...

Fun fact: the whole reason I wanted a 40b was seeing seabass' thread on his al those years ago.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Masamune said:

I'll probably go with a 20L for the sump then.

I feel that the longer version makes a nicer sump than a standard 20 gallon tank; however, make sure that it can fit through the opening in your stand.  For some stands, you might need to use a standard 20 gallon tank instead.

Looks like a nice equipment list.

5 hours ago, Masamune said:

Fun fact: the whole reason I wanted a 40b was seeing seabass' thread on his al those years ago.

:lol:  Awesome, thanks!

• Like 1

Found the return kit and confirmed that I had a vortech 10. Might consider getting a second one if I plan to do SPS, or even jump to a 20.

Also found the Evil Par38 lamp I had for my jbj pico back in the day... Might just dip my toes into a teensy weensy nano before jumping into an all out 40b.

260015159_4783979501684998_4116093406542467231_n.jpg

• Like 1