Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Interesting behavior for Ocellaris Clownfish

tviquez10

I purchased two Ocellaris Clownfish a couple days ago. They have both eaten and appear healthy. I have a 10 year old Ocellaris in my other tank that seems to hang out upside down in a corner as well but I was just wanting to make sure this was a normal behavior for them? My other clown will swim around the other tank but they don't seem to want to venture away from the surface. I have a wave maker set on factory settings that will change the wave strength and pattern as the day goes on so I think the current is fine for them.

PXL_20220208_143106958.MP.jpg

Clowns are strange fish/

I have one that used to hover above 1 rock in my tank that he lived in all by himself.  I had a cave and more tank, but clown just hovered over 1 rock.  When I tried adding fish, clown bullied them out and ultimately moved into a cave that another fish tried to make his home.  Stayed there all day for months - tank was quite boring to look at.

After removing and re-organizing rockwork to breakup territory, was able to add 2nd fish in there, and the Clown is still a " new " cave fish.  Clown found a small crevice in my rock scape and basically lives there all day hovering in and out, but will dart out for food.  Talbot swims all around the tank and the perimeter of rocks

Mr Clown used to sleep upside down by powerhead, now he wedges himself sideways into his cave for night time.

Sounds to me like you have a paired duo and they hover around each other as they did prior to your purchasing them.  

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Jakesaw said:

Clowns are strange fish/

I have one that used to hover above 1 rock in my tank that he lived in all by himself.  I had a cave and more tank, but clown just hovered over 1 rock.  When I tried adding fish, clown bullied them out and ultimately moved into a cave that another fish tried to make his home.  Stayed there all day for months - tank was quite boring to look at.

After removing and re-organizing rockwork to breakup territory, was able to add 2nd fish in there, and the Clown is still a " new " cave fish.  Clown found a small crevice in my rock scape and basically lives there all day hovering in and out, but will dart out for food.  Talbot swims all around the tank and the perimeter of rocks

Mr Clown used to sleep upside down by powerhead, now he wedges himself sideways into his cave for night time.

Sounds to me like you have a paired duo and they hover around each other as they did prior to your purchasing them.  

They sure are strange! I figured it was normal behavior but just wanted to be sure. I've never had a pair before. There were close to 50 or so in the tank at the store so not sure if they were initially a pair but are seeming to get along wonderfully now. Once the light comes on, they do swim around some but still stay mostly at the surface. That's funny you say yours would sleep upside down near a powerhead because that's exactly what my other old one does🤣

8 minutes ago, tviquez10 said:

There were close to 50 or so in the tank at the store so not sure if they were initially a pair but are seeming to get along wonderfully now.

Will be interested to hear update.  Mated pairs usually are separated and charged a premium for @ LFS.  

Maybe you got lucky with a M-F that get along and pair up.  I'd say they are on their first date.  

Time will tell. 

• Like 1