Coral Vue Hydros

Coral Placement

shredder56

Of course it depends, but I need some more specific guidance on placement. I have small two frags in my 5g . The 3 head Duncan (1 mth in tank) is happy but the 2-head candy cane (2wk in tank) is not and I've moved it a few times to no effect.. Since the ducnan is good, should the candy be placed into more or less flow/light compared to the duncan? All I see for guidance is "moderate light/flow" for both. Also, is there a water parameter that candy's are particularly reactive to compared to duncan? Thanks for your time. 

1 hour ago, shredder56 said:

2wk in tank... I've moved it a few times to no effect.

Sometimes they just need time to acclimate (to flow, light, parameters, etc).  Moving it will present a new set of variables to deal with.

It could be healing from being fragged recently, or damaged during shipping, or dealing with a major parameter change from its previous tank.

Are its feeding tentacles ever out?  Have you been able to target feed it something like a mysis shrimp?

What are the values of phosphate, nitrate, and alkalinity in your tank right now?

One or more of these issues (in addition to light and flow) might be causing its apparent distress.  Can you post a pic of the coral, and a pic of your full tank?

• Like 1

I have both in my tank, and they are both tolerant of low / medium light.  

re: Candy cane - I've had one frag thrive in light under my Koralia powerhead shade and the same frag is now mid way through my 10 gal mounted on rock. It's always had a full polyp and now is a prolific grower.  Took a 2-3 months til I saw feeding sweepers - they are out every night now.

Duncans known to have similar tolerance.  I had a 2 headed frag retract when I placed it high in tank in direct line with powerhead.  The head's tentacles was retracting in one of my heads in that situation.  The other was fine.  If I had to guess, the high flow bothered it more than light.  I moved the frags to sandbed and they are thriving again.  I've had since December and think I'm seeing new heads start to form on my Duncans

Wherever you place coral, leave it in one place for a while vs constantly moving it. Some frags can be moodier than others depending on how many heads / how recently fragged / etc. Both are hardy and beginner friendly b/c of it. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice. I've left the cane in place for a few days at a time. Shipping was not an issue as I got it from a neighbor. Never has opened. Crabs keep knocking it over so I'll just glue it down and leave it for a couple of weeks. It'll grow ... or not.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, shredder56 said:

Shipping was not an issue as I got it from a neighbor. Never has opened. Crabs keep knocking it over so I'll just glue it down and leave it for a couple of weeks. It'll grow ... or not.

Been there with Crabs knocking over candy cane daily... lol

1) What did the frag look like in your friend's tank

2) Was it recently fragged when you got it, or did he grow the frag out a bit in his tank after cutting. 

I've only lost 1 coral and it was my first candy cane.  The polyp kept retracting into head until it died off.  20/20 hindsight,  the frag died from zero nutrients in my water. 

Now have a Bright green Single polyp grown to 4 -  and red ( 3 polyp frag ) in tank.  

My red candy canes took a couple of weeks to settle in and get full polyps.  They were cut for Late December 40 % off sale from center of a bunch as it had cuts on all sides of skeleton base.  Was probably stressful cutting for them.   Red guys are currently looking very healthy but I've not seen any feeder tentacles or any splitting.  Not sure if center cut is what's holding them from splitting / growing out - but I'm hopeful

IMG_20220112_131320_Bokeh.thumb.jpg.cbfe90d8c8d3557e6b6cb71f96fcd5b4.jpg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, DevilDuck said:

Are you target feeling them? They grow very fast once you start. I have two duncans that pop a head or two a month. Some time this year, I will have to trade one of them away.

I dirty feed my Frozen food at night.  Duncans get nibbles of meaty food as it floats the water column.  I regularly see them close up when they get some float by food during a feed.  No direct feeding though.  I think I see 2 small heads on one of the Duncans, will have to see if they turn into new heads or not.  

Staying on topic - A few days may not be enough to get a frag settled into tank.  What condition was it in when you got it from your friend has as much to do with how fast it settles than your tank.  If alk / Phos / Nitrate are at good levels, they should thrive over time in most conditions of lighting mid to low tank.  If you see polyp shrink over time that'd be a concern.  You want them plump and full and they will elongate and grow a 2nd mouth when they are happy and well fed.

The candy cane had four big heads. The largest two died within a week. The smaller two are hanging in there. I target feed spir shrimp and reef roids but I don't see them taking any interest. The duncan loves that stuff. I've glued it down at the same height and flow as the duncan. Will wait and see. Also, Although the water parameters are good, there is some imbalance. If I go a week without changing water the duncan closes up. Twice a week keeps it happy. It's tough being patient!

On 2/6/2022 at 6:52 AM, shredder56 said:

If I go a week without changing water the duncan closes up. Twice a week keeps it happy. It's tough being patient!

Water changes twice a week?  

That may be your issue.  I was doing my weekly water change Sunday and my purple Candy Cane didn't like it.  The polyp upuffed and looked unhappy.  Next day it was fine, but I've got a weekly routine. 

If you are stressing yours multiple times a week, may be a factor.  Is there a way you can space out your WC a bit longer.  Maybe spot feed rest of tank less frequently or dose lighter? 

Corals in general like stability vs constant swings in Water conditions.