Innovative Marine Aquariums

Sps frag fell in the sand bed. Not doing great

BioBoy16

Hey guys. I have this little sps encrusting frag in my tank. Unfortunately this morning I found it in the sand bed. I guess it wasn't as secured to the rock as I had thought. Not sure how long it had been down there but i assume it fell overnight. I went to grab it and unfortunately buried it further. Finally pulled it out and it is really worse for wear. Took a soft tooth brush and tried to clean it off as best I could but it looks like it has lost alot of flesh. Polyps fully retracted and some spots losing a hell of alot of color. I dosed heavy on the red sea ab+ because it's supposed to help damaged corals repair. Other than that I'm out of ideas. I put it back in its spot bc it was doing real well there and just hoping for the best. You think there's any hope for it? Any ways to help it recover?

Brushing the flesh was a bad idea.  You might try a Lugol's iodine dip to disinfect it.  Otherwise, I think it's best to leave it alone to recover.

• Like 2

In the future just pick it up and shake the sand off it - there is no harm in an SPS frag rolling around in the sand for a while. When I frag my SPS, I literally just throw them in the sand in the corner of my tank and leave them there for weeks at a time - just picking them up and shaking the sand off every week or so. One of those caps has been rolling on the sand for the better part of 6 months and it's all good!

20220125_163324.thumb.jpg.35942ba6532c0213ce89484915a91998.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks guy. Yeah I realize brushing it was probably bad after the fact 😅. Polyps have opened at this point but it's still not looking great. Hopefully it comes back. 

• Like 1

Just leave it be. You have to think that like all corals,sps will basically create a slime coat to protect its corallites and sand and stuff will stick to it but will fall off within a matter of hours,especially with/in moderate flow. 

With sps being ao fragile,don't brush them off. It will bounce back,just give it some time. What kind of sps is it ? 

3 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Just leave it be. You have to think that like all corals,sps will basically create a slime coat to protect its corallites and sand and stuff will stick to it but will fall off within a matter of hours,especially with/in moderate flow. 

With sps being ao fragile,don't brush them off. It will bounce back,just give it some time. What kind of sps is it ? 

Not really sure. It was a tint little hitchhiker on a toadstool frag. Didn't even know it was there until it started to glow under blues. Cut it off and gave it is own little spot. I think its a stylocoeniella. W.e it is its so kind of encrusting coral. Here's pics before i cut it off the frag. Here's it after it fell. 

20211226_120854.jpg

20211225_234932.jpg

20220119_142003.jpg

Hmmm,could be a stylo of some sort. Honestly with the provided pictures I can't tell but it may turn around. Just don't mess with it and give it some time. It should recover. 

• Like 1

Cool thank you. Yeah I have no idea what it is yet. It's very small and there's only a handful of polyps. Kinda why I freaked out. I was excited to watch it grow and figure out what it is lol. Happy reefing all

• Like 1