Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

What to run in “inTank” chamber 1 media basket!

mattnano13.5

I’ve got a brand new Evo 13.5 and I ordered the media basket for chamber 1 and just wonder what to run in it? I was going to run filter floss on top and the carbon the came with the tank in the 2nd and the 3rd I was going to run the ceramic rings that came with it. Will that be okay to just run that? 

11 hours ago, mattnano13.5 said:

I’ve got a brand new Evo 13.5 and I ordered the media basket for chamber 1 and just wonder what to run in it? I was going to run filter floss on top and the carbon the came with the tank in the 2nd and the 3rd I was going to run the ceramic rings that came with it. Will that be okay to just run that? 

Sure; however, keep the rings clean or pull them out now.  With sufficient rock in your tank, they won't be doing much but collecting detritus, as the nitrifying bacteria will already have sufficient surface area to colonize.  More surface area doesn't necessarily mean more bacteria, as the bacteria populations will grow and shrink as needed to balance your tank's bio-load.

You could simply run the heater in chamber two, and the return pump in chamber 3.

The media basket is still nice because it is efficient, easy to access/clean, and flexible for when you might wish to use other, or more, filter media (like a Poly Filter, phosphate reducer, ChemiPure, Purigen, etc).