ReefCleaners.org

Lights Pump & Heater

billpater

Thinking about getting a Water Box Marine X 90.3 Its about 60 gallons.They suggest using 2 AI Prime 16 HD Reef lights, a Sicce Syncra Silent 4.0 return pump. Any thoughts or does that sound good.Also any suggestions on what heater to use?

NoOneLikesADryTang

The sicce syncra 4.0 would probably work just fine, all though you could bump up a little bit larger if you wanted to. 

I believe that tank is three feet in length, two primes would work for softies and most LPS, if you decide to get in to SPS you’d probably want a third (or even fourth). Primes are great lights.

I usually suggest not spending a ton of money on heaters, because they are an item that fails often, and ideally should be replaced every year. 

look into Neo Therm heaters by cobalt aquatics i just got one and it seems like great quality there running about $80 on amazon but they have a good warranty. 

2 hours ago, ererer said:

Whatever heater you get, spend the extra money to get a controller. Inkbirds start around $35.

Plus one on the Inkbird controller. I have the WiFi model and love being able to get an exact temp reading and can monitor from my phone. 

As far as heater I'd recommend Eheim Jager.  That's what I have and it seems to be built really well and seemed to have a good reputation. 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Dave21 said:

Plus one on the Inkbird controller. I have the WiFi model and love being able to get an exact temp reading and can monitor from my phone. 

As far as heater I'd recommend Eheim Jager.  That's what I have and it seems to be built really well and seemed to have a good reputation. 

I've had Jaegers in FW for many years without problem.  One eventually got stuck on the heat position. Inkbird would have helped that situation.   I'm not sure if SW breaks down heaters faster b/c of corrosive nature of salt?