Cultivated Reef

Hair Algae strands....

NanoBob

Seemingly overnight I have al of these "hairs" and bubbles sticking out of the center of my zoas, a few places on my aqua scape and shrooms (see attached).  I have to believe it is hair algae, but now at the end of the night is is just about gone??

Ideas?

Cheers,

Bob.

20220117_201906.jpg

20220117_201717.jpg

On 1/18/2022 at 8:23 AM, seabass said:

Looks like it could be dinoflagellates (dinos).  What are your phosphate and nitrate levels (and what test kits are you using)?

phos is .03 using the Hannah ultra low and nitrates were at 5 before water change on Sunday.  I just checked again today using Salifert and API both read 10!  It is spreading and seems to pop up out of nowhere.  I spend a lot of time with long tweezers in hand plucking strands off of my coral.  Most of my zoas are partially closed today.  I have a mini skimmer and it is working great!  Everything seems be happening fast.  Except for my ricordia, they are thriving!  Wondering if I should just say screw it and do another water change??

Cheers,

Bob.

59 minutes ago, seabass said:

If it's dinos, a water change might cause it to get worse.

Have you ever used Dr. Tim's Waste away?  After doing some research it sure looks and acts like dinos.  All, but disappears at night.  Comes back by late afternoon, early evening.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
ryans.salty.crew
On 1/20/2022 at 9:34 PM, NanoBob said:

Have you ever used Dr. Tim's Waste away?  After doing some research it sure looks and acts like dinos.  All, but disappears at night.  Comes back by late afternoon, early evening.

Wondering if you ever used Dr. Tim's or fixed the dinos?

We have about the same amount, very small. But my zoas get pissed sometimes and close up. Trying to find a long term fix without having to take my tank apart.... I don't have the time for that ANYTIME soon.