Cultivated Reef

Is This Aiptasia?

bravotango

I added the first few corals to my EVO 13.5 a few weeks back. This evening, I was looking closely at a rock with coral on it and noticed the item in the red circle. Is this Aiptasia?

Aiptasia.thumb.png.eb2c5951a63977a2e129306f84c67742.png

Take the frag out ant drown the aiptasia in super glue. it will definitely die and as long as you wont fully cover zoas with glue, they will be fine. Take the frag out ant drown the aiptasia in super glue. it will definitely die and as long as you wont fully cover zoas with glue, they will be fine.

• Like 1

In the passed ive used Joes Juice aiptasis eliminator. Thats a great product! I was using it in a 100 gallon tank though. Not sure about using it in a nano. 

But the stuff seems to come out in just a small area "dusting" the problem. Check that stuff out

I don't know if this is generally acceptable, but I've been injecting boiling water directly onto the aiptasia as soon as I see one. A short fire shot as long as it's not too close to the coral--a few mm away. I tried super glue but sometimes it'd come out of the side (apparently not enough glue). The boiling water has worked well and I've only lost one zoa polyp from a poorly aimed shot.

So far the super glue appears to have effectively smothered it. I stopped by my favorite LFS who advised the addition of a Peppermint Shrimp to stay on top of future instances of Aiptasia. When I added them to the tank, it spent alot of time around the area where the aiptasia was.

• Like 1

In my experience peppermits are super ineffective, i have gone through  probably 8 or 10 shrimp that did not touch them. there is a lot of subspecies that don't eat aiptasia and then the ones that meant to eat aiptasia, might not touch them and they may go after corals but it has never happened to me either. So it is a hit or miss although some people had great success with then.  If you only had this one aiptasia i would save your money.