Cultivated Reef

xenia looking bad

Entranced

Got this one 4/5 days ago, it opened the first day but from the second onwards it has looked like this

Anyone knows whats up with it?

Can it be that my nitrates are 0?

photo_2022-01-16_19-32-58.jpg

Looking worse by the day.

It's a 23ish gallon tank, no water changes

Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and phos are 0

Dkh 11 (using a freshwater test so may be off)

Ph between 7.8 and 8.0

Even tho i feed a lot, 3 or 4 times a day, and currently stopped my skimmer so no filtration except for 10kilos of live rock

Im starting to think that my dinos are eating all the nutrients.

My tank is around 2 months old

I have gsp, a softie similar to kenya tree but not exactly and mushrooms, all doing good, except maybe the gsp that only shows 50% of the polyps

10 minutes ago, Entranced said:

Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and phos are 0

As pointed out above, it wants nutrients (phosphate and nitrate).  Same for your GSP.

12 minutes ago, Entranced said:

Im starting to think that my dinos are eating all the nutrients.

Have you confirmed dinos?  If you have dinos, you will also need to bring nutrients up.  To treat dinos, I'd probably boost phosphate up to at least 0.10 ppm and nitrate to around 10 ppm.  This might help your xenia too.

There are supplements that you can dose to increase the inorganic nutrients in your tank.  Brightwell's come to mind:

• Like 2
jefferythewind

Nitrates and Phospahtes at zero is a big problem, Phosphates being more crucial. You need a minimum level of phosphates for most corals to survive. Optimal is said to be between 0.04 and 0.08 PPM. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jefferythewind said:

Optimal is said to be between 0.04 and 0.08 PPM.

With at least 0.10 when trying to get rid of dinos.  But make sure that you have confirmed dinos and not just diatoms and/or cyano.

In general, high phosphate is better tolerated than too low phosphate.  I'd say that 0.03 ppm is a decent minimum number when not dealing with dinos.  Dosing is the easiest way to raise it without adding a bunch of wastes and organics.

• Like 1

People also claim dkh and pH are important for xenia. I don't know that much about xenia so I'm not sure how true it is. But... If it were me, I'd get a quality alk test kit, adjust as necessary and make sure your pH has reached it's full potential. Probably around 8.2 - 8.3.

If your alkalinity is at least 8 dkh and your pH is flat you probably need more surface agitation to bring in more oxygen to drive off C02 to bring the pH up.   

• 1 month later...
jcrisman2009
On 1/16/2022 at 4:34 PM, Entranced said:

Got this one 4/5 days ago, it opened the first day but from the second onwards it has looked like this

Anyone knows whats up with it?

Can it be that my nitrates are 0?

photo_2022-01-16_19-32-58.jpg

That is a very big possibility! What are your readings for nitrates and phosphates?

On 3/18/2022 at 5:24 PM, jcrisman2009 said:

That is a very big possibility! What are your readings for nitrates and phosphates?

That xenia is long gone, i'm still wanting to get one but i struggle keeping nutrients up till this day. I have 4 fish on a 23 gallon tank and thinking about getting a 5th since the bioload doesnt seem to bee that high. I had to deal with 2 blooms of dinos because of that as well.

My nitrate and phosphates are both undetectable

Phosphate i dose flourish phosphorous, now for nitrates there are no products sold in my country for that purpose except for maybe potasium and sodium nitrate, etc. Which i don't even know if its food grade, they use it for making incense sticks.

The GSP will survive 0 nutrients and revive itself when you get them up.  That was my experience.  One of my first corals had no polyps for months.  When I got the nutrients up - it's out every day now like a dense swaying bush.  Grown out quite a bit in surface area too.   Gonna have to cut some back to keep it off my LR.