inTank Media Baskets

A Beginner's Guide to Sumps

Jerad81

I remember when I was first setting up my tank, everyone kept talking/preaching about how important sumps were for a successful saltwater tank. What always frustrated me was never being able to find a real explanation as to why they were so important or even how to set one up. I ended up just ignoring all the talk and getting a nice, used, AIO tank that I have been very happy with.

The whole sump situation has always kinda bothered me though. I know at some point, when I have more room to work with, I'm going to upgrade to a larger tank. I'm not sure I'm going to go with an AIO tank when I do. After a lot of research, I FINALLY found a really awesome beginner's guide to sumps, why they actually matter, and a basic understanding of how to set one up. 

This site does not assume you already know something. If anyone out there is like me and doesn't really know jack **** about them and wants to learn I highly recommend checking this out!

https://www.thebeginnersreef.com/aquarium-sumps-what-are-they-how-do-they-work/

I wasn't actually planning on writing a book here but for anyone who decided to read it all, thank you and congratulations! 🤣

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Jerad81 said:

What always frustrated me was never being able to find a real explanation as to why they were so important or even how to set one up.

You might have to read books to get that info.   Do you have any so far?

Check this out...both Martin Moe books are better than this:

AIO tank that I have been very happy with.

Congrat's on your first sump!  

Just happens to be in the display tank so you miss some of the benefits.

beginner's guide to sumps

MAN THERE ARE A LOT OF ADS ON THAT LINK.   Warning to others.  Looks like spam magnet click bait to me.

Again, I'd suggest reading one or both of Martin Moe's books – especially where he talks about system design.   These are essential reading for anyone who wants to keep saltwater tanks.

2 hours ago, ubpr said:

Who plans to use a sump has to do a lot of reading, especially calculation part.

Both of these promotional links suggest a stereotypical sump design without really explaining why or what alternatives there are.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, mcarroll said:

Again, I'd suggest reading one or both of Martin Moe's books – especially where he talks about system design.   These are essential reading for anyone who wants to keep saltwater tanks.

Thank you for pointing out those books. I don't have any yet but I will definitely look both of those up now.

1 hour ago, mcarroll said:

Both of these promotional links suggest a stereotypical sump design without really explaining why or what alternatives there are.

The link I shared was more to help other newbies like me gain a basic/general understanding of what a sump is in a saltwater system and hopefully eliminate some of the confusion when they see/hear people talking about them. And also help people find a decent starting point to research and begin planning how they want to set their own system up. 

Again, thank you for pointing out those books. That can also be a challenge trying to figure out what books are actually worth spending money on.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, DevilDuck said:

This is a pretty board topic. Specially are we looking at:

1. Pros/Cons of having a sump

2. Sump and overflow designs

3. Sump setup of flow and water level

4. Equipment in the sump

or all the above?

I originally started it with #4 in mind but I would say now that all of them are open for discussion if you feel they would be beneficial. I wasn't really trying to make it a step by step guide on how to create one but more of a resource for people to find useful information and/or resources to look at to help with their research. And also help us understand what people are talking about or referencing when they come up in conversations. 

• Like 1