Cultivated Reef

Nitrate levels

audiocontrol

has anyone ever had extremly low levels for nitrate? I just did a water test today. pH 8.15, Alk. 3.5(in the process of increasing), Nitrate was at 10ppm a week ago, and it has since fallen to .2ppm. My nitrites are non existent. I have no fish in my aquarium as of now. Could this be the cause? It has been up and running for a month and a half with corals, livesand, and live rock. Only critters are 6 turbo snails, 3 blue leggers hermits, and 1 sponge crab.. any ideas?

Originally posted by audiocontrol

Ive never had nitrate that low before, would I notice any adverse effects, or more likley nothing at all?

Yeah, your inverts and corals will be happy. :)

Fish are really not good for a nano... <------------- Just my opinion

Ive been debating whether or not to add a small neon goby to the tank and let him feed off of pods or whatever, as a semi-self sustained system. but im not sure. This is my first attempt at a strictly "coral reef" setup and without the fish, everything is growing like wildfire. Ive had green star polyps for about 3 weeks now, and it is already starting to grow on the back wall. My Green Button Polyps which I bought a month ago for $3.99 because it only had 4 visible polyp heads on it, now has about 13...

Don’t mess with success.................

But I know that fish do add more life to the tank. So I guess if you are happy with the tank as it is then don’t bother. What you don’t know doesn’t hurt you :)

Most people over feed reef tank fish so feeding sparingly really helps with the nitrate levels. Also, the type of food you feed helps this too.

No. They pretty much will increase your nitrate levels. They add nothing more than visual.

In a nano, no longer how long it’s been established, there will not be enough food to sustain a fish who will eat pods unless you got a sump that’s going to be bigger than your nano. And we know that keeping a sump bigger than the nano is just cheating ;)

you should see my 100gal. reef project with a 15 gallon sump, or is it a 15 gallon reef with a 100 gallon sump???...I forget, oh well. lol j/k

Archived