Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Question on CANDY CANE & Trumpet growth

Jakesaw

I've had a Green Trumpet Frag for about about 2 months. It started as one head and has split once, and looking like it'll be splitting again in the next month.  

The coral skeleton is still 1 Branch, I'm curious if / when I should be looking for a split in branches underneath the coral polyp?

Thanks

• Like 2

Thanks @banasophia

My Green Trumpet is same species as in your pic.  I have another Purple & polyp with green mouth that looks a little different.  Has 3 heads and not quite as full a polyp.  

I'll be watching them.   Any thoughts as how long it takes to start putting a visible stem under those polyps?

Thanks

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jakesaw said:

Thanks @banasophia

My Green Trumpet is same species as in your pic.  I have another Purple & polyp with green mouth that looks a little different.  Has 3 heads and not quite as full a polyp.  

I'll be watching them.   Any thoughts as how long it takes to start putting a visible stem under those polyps?

Thanks

They grow pretty fast in my tanks, splitting into new heads in a month or two and then the stems take a little longer to form/lengthen. That greenish yellow one went from 5 heads to 12 in about 9 months. The pink one grows even faster I’d say. 

I have had much better luck with the larger polyp varieties… I tried the smaller polyp kryptonite candy canes when I first started the hobby and they did not make it… may have just been since me and/or my tank were so new though. 

43 minutes ago, banasophia said:

I have had much better luck with the larger polyp varieties… I tried the smaller polyp kryptonite candy canes when I first started the hobby and they did not make it… may have just been since me and/or my tank were so new though. 

I got my Purple heads on a 40 percent off sale during holiday season.  The place was full of customers and I didn't put much thought as to the fact there were different types of candycanes vs Trumpets.  Thought they were all the same. -- Grab and go!

My Purple one has 3 heads and have gotten fuller since coming into my tank. I don't think they'll ever be as full as the Kryptonite Trumpets though

Pics

IMG_20220111_111121.thumb.jpg.cca9bc8e4f379b72f86cdfcf6b933afb.jpgIMG_20220111_111125.thumb.jpg.899eaffe7f91b64ff3e488f0ca826eaa.jpg

The Green Trumpets respond much better to polyp consuming direct feeding.  Only fed the Purple ones once and they were not too responsive.  I'll try again as they settle in. 

Otherwise both have been pretty healthy since placing them in tank.

8 minutes ago, Jakesaw said:

Thought they were all the same. -- Grab and go!

I've never seen any different care needs between them.  Fairly similar.

2 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

I've never seen any different care needs between them.  Fairly similar.

Difference in polyp size / puffiness was was the response.  

Purple hasn't accepted direct feed yet, but stem on Purple with 3 heads is pretty thick and cut on more than one side.  It appears to be cut out of center of a Bloom so it may just be healing from the fragging.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, banasophia said:

They grow pretty fast in my tanks, splitting into new heads in a month or two and then the stems take a little longer to form/lengthen.

Do you feed these guys?  I had a frag that didn't do well and I have one now that the heads puff up nicely, but the skeleton was actually getting holes in it (I think from low alk and calcium which I am working on correcting).  The polyps themselves still look good though.